Chapter Five: The Perfect Disaster

CHAPTER FIVE: The Perfect Disaster

ONE YEAR LATER in Vancouver:

"Did you say, please just follow me, I thought you wanted me, I want you all to myself" my alarm clock almost made jump right out of my bed. I padded down the radio until I found the snooze button.

The warmth of my comforter seemed to beg me to stay underneath it and as I looked at the radio that was blinking 6:30 in red, I was not one to argue with my comforter. I could smell the coffee brewing itself perfectly in the kitchen, that willed me out of my bed. I kicked off the soft comforter and sat at the edge of the bed stretching my arms and legs before slipping my feet into my fuzzy bunny slippers.

I shuffled my slippers against the floor on my way towards the Coffee brewer on the counter. I took a whiff of the cup of coffee, "Perfectly brewed every time" I sing-songed to myself. I snatched the hot black beverage off the counter and I made my way to my closet.

Summer time in Whistler, my favourite time to work there. I picked out a black V neck tee, and a pair of navy blue skinny jeans. I hated my legs too much for shorts. I danced my way around my bedroom as I changed for the day. I looked at my reflection in the mirror and decided that I would wear my hair straight.

At around 7:45 I grabbed my car keys from the counter as I spun out the door. When I stepped outside the heat hit me almost immediately. I checked the weather on my phone, 26 degrees celsius. Wow. I could hardly believe that after such a cold spring.

I made my way to the parking lot to get my car and took off down the traffic filled Vancouver roads. As I got closer to Whistler my time was ticking, I really couldn't afford to be late again.

I pulled into the pretty much vacant under ground parking lot and ran to get to the restaurant. As I burst through the back door I checked my watch, 8:59. I threw my hands up in the air and dramatically fist pumped. "Yes! I'm not late today!" Jack walked over and highfived me. "Atta girl!" he chimed as he matched my enthusiasm. Jack's shaggy brown hair flipped across his face as he shook it and it seemed to land perfectly. I giggled, I loved how he could do that with his hair.

I rushed to the front window of the restaurant and flipped the closed sign to open before I walked over to open the door. As I looked out the front door as I wedged it open I stood there and grinned at what I saw -Bike trails down gorgeous mountains on a beautiful sun shinny day. Despite the hot temperature the air was fresh and crisp this morning. I could see people starting to slowly spill onto the Whistler village, it promised to be another busy day at work.

Jack half skipped over to me from the kitchen with his apron and hair net now on. He smiled down at me "Not a bad view today." He winked at me and I rolled my eyes as I lightly shoved my elbow playfully into his side.

Jack always made me smile, that's one of the reasons he was my best friend. We headed back to the kitchen bar in the corner of the restaurant. I sat down on one of the tall black bar stools, I had to admit I had fallen in love with this place. The work was long and tiring but that didn't bother me too much. Jack and I sat at the bar for awhile before customers began to bleed into the restaurant around 10:30.

The best thing about this place was the different people, Whistler was a tourist destination so I got to meet new people everyday. I didn't get my first break until around three so I scurried and danced around the tables as the customers came and gone until then.

Jack and I both had a forty-five minute break a three, so we grabbed two ready made sandwiches from the kitchen and snuck out for some time to relax underneath an umbrella out on the misted patio.

We laughed and carried on about the little things that pissed Jack off while he's working. I loved when Jack decided to tell me stories because he was so dramatic about everything.