Chapter Fourteen: Feeling Low

Ahhh! It's been forever since I've updated so sorry! I just wasn't sure of where I wanted to go. Thankfully I've got fresh ideas for this story now and things are going to get a lot more interesting I promise! This chapter is just a filler but the next chapter I'm hoping is going to be fantastic! Thank you guys so much for reading! Song of the day is The Pretender by Foo Fighters :)

---------------------------------------------

CHAPTER FOURTEEN: Feeling Low

Weeks flew by and Josh and I continued our little dinner dates and surprise adventures. Almost every other day we all seemed to somehow end up at Matt's place. Which didn't really bother me; Matt and I had become like best friends rather quickly. We talked about everything together. He was like my Rose in Vancouver.

Of course he wasn't Rose; but I made sure that I Skyped with her everyday so we didn't lose touch again. I also got to talk to Danny again which was nice. I miss them so much more than I realized. Thankfully they haven't changed much.

With Jack still on the other side of the country with his grandma in Halifax I'd get the odd text from him every now and then telling me what he's up to. He says he's finally met a good girl over there. Apparently she's his dream girl. I'm happy for him but he says that I can't see any pictures of her or know her name until he brings her back to Vancouver with him in a few months. She's supposedly from Vancouver anyway. The anticipation of waiting has been killing me.

*Bleep* *Bleep*

My phone chiming loudly on my lap snaps me back into reality. I reached into my lap and read the brightly shining screen. "Speak of the devil" I thought to myself. I opened the message and read what Jack had sent me.

Hey Princess! I know it's been about a week since you've heard from me, my apologies. I just wanted to let you know that everything over here is perfect! My girl and I are doing great! Between you and me I think she could be the one! Anyway, I just wanted to say that I miss your pretty face and I'm sorry I'm going to miss your birthday sweetheart! All the best! Love, Jack.

I sighed aloud. With everything that had been going on in the world around me I'd completely forgotten about my birthday. I was focused mainly on Ian's birthday that was happening this weekend at some weird restaurant I'd never heard of. Josh was mentioning it to me the other day. Some place called "Milestones" or something.

Plus I was constantly busy helping Rose through her breakup with her asshole ex finance. I didn't even take notice that my birthday was only 2 weeks away.

I bit my bottom lip as I typed back on my phone.

No worries Jack, with everything going on I didn't even remember that my birthday is coming up! Congratulations on the mystery girl though! I can't wait to meet her! Glad you found a girl that makes you so happy! I love you! Be safe! Come home soon!

I quickly sent the message and began to wrack my brain for ideas on what to get Ian for his birthday. I honestly didn't have a clue! I stopped dead in my tracks and smirked. "I may not have a clue but I bet if I stopped by someone's place for a visit they'd tell me." I said to myself.

I fixed my hair in the mirror, snatched my keys off the side table and hurried out the door. I set off towards Matt's apartment just 5 or 10 minutes down the road depending on traffic through town.

The middle of July in Vancouver stuck sitting in traffic inside a beat up old car without air conditioning. Why didn't I just text him? I rolled my eyes. I knew it'd be worth the drive through traffic though, it always was. I loved Matt; he was like a brother to me now. He was my go to guy with anything.

I finally pulled up to his apartment after almost 20 minutes of awful downtown traffic. I smoothed out my shirt and knocked on the door softly. "Matt.... Matty.... Matt open up its me." I whispered through the door. The door swung open and a shirtless Matt looked around suspiciously.

"Talia why are you whispering?" He raised an eyebrow at me. "Why don't you have a shirt on?" I countered, pushing my way inside his apartment. He just shrugged. "It's hot." I nodded, I couldn't disagree with him there.

I flopped down on the couch in the living room, Matt following close behind. "So what do I owe the pleasure?" Matt asked as he took a big bite of a red delicious apple. I took a deep breath. "Well... Two things I guess. Number one, Ian's birthday dinner is on Saturday and I don't know what to get him. Two, I'm still really bummed out about the Rose situation. I feel like a failure of a friend. I just want to see her and be able to hug her but I can't because she's so far away. Plus I still haven't told her about you guys or Josh. I feel awful about not telling her, but I don't wanna rub her face in my relationship. You know? What do I do?"

Matt's Point Of View:

It wasn't unusual for Talia to be at my place lately. She was constantly asking for advice about everything. I didn't mind though, I enjoyed her company, she'd become like a little sister to me in the last little bit.

And of course here I was, trying to answer all her questions. I focused on the ground trying to figure out how to help her or at least what to say to make her feel better if I wasn't sure how to help her. I started with the easy answer.

"Well.. The Ian thing is pathetically simple. I'm actually sort of disappointed in you for not thinking of it." I smirked at Talia as she narrowed her eyes at me. I waited a few seconds, lengthening my dramatic pause to keep her anxious before spilling the beans. "Non nonalcoholic anything silly! That's just common sense my dear." I chuckled as her cheeks became infused with a light pink and she stuck out her tongue which only made me laugh more. This girl was adorable.

She chucked one of my couch cushions at me to silence my laughter. That was my cue that she meant business. "Fine. That solves one problem. What about the Rose situation?" She asked in a whiny tone.

I sat up straighter and pretended to stroke an imaginary beard, "Hmm.." I hummed. "I think you should wait a bit longer to rub it in her face that you know the glorious and perfect Matt Webb." I responded with a smirk earning yet another warning glance from Talia. "I'm being serious now Matt." She sighed defeatedly.

I rolled my eyes. Talia could be so dramatic sometimes. "You're no fun." I sighed and gave her my honest opinion, the one I knew she was waiting for. "I wouldn't tell her something that's this important to you over the Internet. However, I don't know what to tell ya about the distance thing."

Talia sunk down into the couch. I could tell she was beating herself up over this a lot. I reached out and embraced her in a rather awkward hug. "Matt?" She spoke into my chest. "Yeah?" "Be a doll and put a shirt on now?" I chuckled and let her go. "Whatever." I walked down the hallway, grabbed a white t-shirt from my bedroom closet and slipped it over my head.

-

Talia spent the majority of the rest of the day with me at my place just talking about everything under the sun. I tried my hardest to avoid any talk of her and Josh but unfortunately that was mainly what we talked about.

I still couldn't shake the feeling that something bad was going to go down between them and it was going to do some major damage. I didn't want to intervene however because Josh was finally not glaring at me anymore. You can't tell that damn guy anything. I'm happy that they're happy, I just don't have a good feeling about it. I hope I don't ever get the chance to say "I told you so".

We were having a debate about which would be a better adventure, top of the mountain or bottom of the ocean, when Talia's phone going off interrupted us. She looked down at the screen and a big smile immediately plastered itself across her face. Obviously Josh had sent her a message.