Chapter Twenty-Two: A Few Good Words-

I snuggled into the collar of the jumper Logan gave me, tucking my nose inside and out of the cold. My back was pressed against the front wall of the flat's building, standing there shivering in my boots as I looked up at the grey, cloudy sky. I don't know why I was outside, there wasn't a reason for me to be. It just felt like something I needed to do, like an urge. 

    The thought of escaping the icy wind and being inside a much warmer room, wrapped up in my sleeping bag and catching a few quick zeds, was tempting. But I still didn't move. Even though my brain was telling me to go inside because I'm 'freezing my nuts off here', my instincts were telling me to just wait. Like I knew something was going to happen. 

    It was when I heard a sharp sniffle and the sound of trainers scuffing against the pavement, that I made a mental note to always pay attention to my instincts. Frozen balls or not. 

    Somehow I knew it was Alex before I'd even rounded on the corner of the alley and caught him in my view. But then, I guess it wasn't too hard to guess who it would be, since the rest of the lads were inside and not many other people come down this way or, you know, hang about in alleys. 

    His back was turned towards me, clad in a grey jacket that I'd never seen before. In fact, it looked new. I cleared my throat to gain his attention, which made him practically jump to the sky and flip out, after he spared me a quick glance. It wasn't hard to spot that he was shoving something inside his pocket, frantically, like he desperately didn't want me to see. 

    "Ash, you scared me." He chuckled nervously. "What're you doing out here?" I swiftly advanced on him, grabbing the wrist that was still shoved inside his pocket, trying to pull it out. Alex clearly didn't want me to see what it was he was hiding, as he was fighting against me and trying to pry his arm free from my grip. 

    "Ash, what the fuck are you doing? Let the fuck go!" I did as he asked, pushing him away with so much force that his body collided against the wall with an audible thump, and a pained groan as he winced. 

    "I knew you were hiding something. I knew it!" I spat, staring at him with disgust. 

    "I don't know what you're talking about." 

    "Don't even try and deny it. If you're not hiding anything, then what's in your pocket, huh?" His gaze dropped to the floor, shifting his weight from foot to foot as he chewed his bottom lip. "Yeah, that's what I thought." I said, shoving my hand against his shoulder before storming off. 

    "Ash, wait! You don't understand!" 

    "And what don't I understand, Alex?" I said, spinning around on my heels to face him. He just stood there for a moment, fidgeting underneath my stare, not saying a word. I don't know if he was contemplating whether to tell me the truth or just thinking up another lie. 

    "You won't understand. You'll just flip out on me! It wasn't like I had a choice, everything was just so fucking overwhelming. We had a fight so I didn't feel comfortable turning to you, plus you weren't around anyway so that didn't matter."

    "Alex, just tell me what you've done! I'm sick of dancing around with you about this goddamn subject. About whatever happened to you when you ran off. You can either explain it to me right now, or I'm done." I shook my head and dropped my gaze to the floor as my voice became weak on the last two words. A mere, raspy whisper. 

    "I can't, Ash." He sounded so delicate, looked so fragile in the way he stood. Wavering on his feet like he would fall to the ground any second. I could just about see his soft, blue eyes begin to well up with salty tears. I took another step forward, leaving next to no distance between us.