𝗦𝗘𝗩𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗘𝗘𝗡

Y/N had been grateful for Shinso, despite her intentions. She knew her heart was fragile. She knew she longed too much for a friend. Her brain tended to make decisions for her instead, because her heart would end up getting her killed.
"Shinso?
"Hm?"
The two teens were walking back to the train station in the dark. She was shivering, only being able to use the heat from the warmers in her jacket.

"I don't think you'd like me if you knew what I did."
He watched her pale lips.
"My friends left me, because I hurt them."
She didn't know what she was doing. Shinso was her only confidant. He was the only person she trusted. He had been the only one to make her feel that way in a year.
"You hurt them?"
"Yeah. I did something bad and they became afraid of me."
He sucked in a cold breath.
"What did you do?"

The horrid smell of burning skin hit her nose, making her gag. The screams, the panic, the fear that she saw in the eyes of those who loved her, it all made her want to vomit.
"Y/N?"
Her face was pale, growing greener. Shinso thought the cold was killing her.
He grabbed her face, making her look up.
"Are you okay?"
"Y-yes-Yes. I'm sorry."
They sat down on the bench inside the station, the dim lights siding her.

"I hurt someone. Really—really badly. I didn't mean to do it. My quirk gets uncontrollable when my emotions get out of hand. I've never been trained. No one—I went too far."
Shinso looked down at his arm, where his skin was still red, outlining her fingers. He sighed, "Then you tried your best."
"What?"
"You didn't mean to hurt them, so you were only trying your best. Mistakes happen and we grow from them."
Y/N shook her head, pressing her hands to her face.
"Shinso-"
"That's all we can ever do is grow and learn from the past. You get stronger by accepting your mistakes."
"Shinso," she hissed again, muffled by her palms.

"It's not your fault that-"
"Shinso-!" She shouted, glaring her teeth at him, "you just don't get it, do you?! Your mindset is so much like a hero that is sickening!"
Her fists squeezed, arms clenching as she sharply insulted him.
He blanked, watching her with concern as she realized her outburst. Her face flushed, lips quivering. Her throat felt hollow, her lies spilling from her mouth. She couldn't tell him the truth. She couldn't let him be her confidant. It wouldn't work that way.
Spotting Shinso's uniform standing in front of her house was supposed to make life easier. Becoming friends with the key to her revenge plot was supposed to be easy.
But he was making this hard. Really hard.

They sat back, heads hitting the concrete wall. They watched people walk by, stepping onto late-night trains with drinks in hands and phones tucked under their chins.
The cold clung to their cheeks, blowing against them like cigarette smoke. The colored lights of the destination signs reflected in their eyes.
Shinso's eyes, like a lighter, flickered down to her hand. He slowly crept his, clamping overtop hers.

With a dry swallow, they squeezed their hands together, sitting in the polluted noise of the station intercom.
"I'm—sorry," he quietly started, voice raspy as he tried to lower it.
"Don't be."
He bit his gums, his mind unable to find a conclusion.
Y/N lowered her head, gaining his attention.
"I can't take back what happened. I'm don't think I can accept it either."
The skin of her hand wasn't becoming hot. It remained as warm as Shinso's.
"Do you blame yourself?"
She didn't know what he was even asking. For not being in control? For being so hot in the first place? For hurting someone? For losing her friends?

"No," her voice hoarse, barely audible.
"Then who is?"
"To blame?"
"Yeah."
She turned her head to Shinso, his dark circles, and his indigo hair that sprouted in every direction. He looked so genuine, so interested.
Y/N had to think with her brain for once.
"No one. Life just happens I guess."

Shinso knew she was lying.
"Look me in the eyes."
Locked together, their eyes, stealing the neon around them, remained steady.
"Y/N."
"Yes?"
"Whoever is to blame, please don't hold a grudge."
"Why not?"
"Grudges only poison the soul. Makes you more bitter."
Y/N heard the train for her destination being called. Sucking in a short breath, she leaned in, stealing a kiss from his cheek.