5 | Beauxbatons and Durmstrang

hey, y'all, what's up? have you had a good week?

- - -

There was a pleasant feeling of anticipation in the air that day. Classes had ended earlier - not that anyone had been paying much attention anyway - as the Beauxbatons and Durmstrang students were finally coming to Hogwarts.

Once all the Hogwarts students were in the Great Hall, the heads of the houses walked around their students to make sure everything was in top shape for the arrival of the long-awaited guests. ''Fix your posture, Mr. Montague.''

Montague scoffed as he straightened up until Snape passed by him, then slouched again. ''Honestly, what's the buzz all about? It's just some pricks from other schools.''

''We have to make a good first impression,'' Y/n said, loosening her green tie slightly. ''Though they really are being more uptight than usual.''

''Follow me,'' Snape said in his monotone voice, beckoning for the first years to stay in the front.

They filed down the front steps and lined up in front of the castle. It was a cold, clear evening; dusk was falling and a place, transparent-looking moon was already shining over the Forbidden Forest. Y/n stood between Pucey and Montague, who both looked like they didn't want to be there.

''It's already six, where are they?'' asked Adrien as he checked his wristwatch.

''Maybe there's broom traffic,'' Y/n joked, earning a scoff from Montague.

''You really think two whole schools would make their way here from different countries on brooms? I thought you were smart, L/n,'' Montague shook his head at Y/n's guess.

''I was just joking!'' Y/n put her hands up in defence. ''Though I'm curious with what exactly they're going to come.''

Y/n scanned the darkening grounds, but nothing was moving; everything was still, silent and quiet as usual. Y/n was starting to slightly shiver from the cold, wrapping her arms around herself to try and generate some warmth.

''Didn't you bring your scarf?'' asked Adrien upon noticing the girl's state. ''Have mine, I'm not cold anyway.''

''Thanks, Adrien,'' Y/n said as she quickly grabbed the scarf and wrapped it tightly around her neck, keeping her hands under it for more warmth.

Adrien took a moment to look at Y/n before looking up and noticing none other than Fred Weasley observing the situation with a slight glare. The Slytherin boy couldn't help but smirk slightly at the red head's look.

''You trying to kill Pucey or something?'' spoke George as he nudged his brother. Fred looked away from the Slytherins and back to the front. ''I know the bloke's annoying, but you shouldn't give him the satisfaction of showing him your annoyance, mate.''

''Yeah, I know,'' Fred said, stuffing his hands in his pockets. ''I can't help it, though. I wish she was in Gryffindor.''

''Somehow I still can't wrap my head around the fact that you fell for a Slytherin,'' George said, something he's been saying ever since their third year at Hogwarts. ''But Y/n is cool, I suppose, so it's fine.''

''Geez, thanks for the approval, mate,'' Fred said. It sounded sarcastic, though he did feel relief about his brother not hating the girl he liked, even if she was a Slytherin. The Weasleys, especially the Weasley siblings, aren't very fond of Slytherins - and yet here Fred was, having fallen head over heels for one.

''Aha!'' Dumbledore called out from the back row, where he stood with the other teachers. ''Unless I am very much mistaken, the delegation from Beauxbatons approaches!''

''Where?'' questioned many students eagerly, all looking in different directions.

Y/n was one of them, though she did indeed spot something flying towards the school. ''There!'' she yelled out, pointing over the Forest.

Something large, much larger than a broomstick - or a hundred broomsticks - was hurtling across the deep blue sky towards the castle, growing larger all the time.

''It's a dragon!'' shrieked one of the first-years, losing her head completely.

''Don't be stupid . . . it's a flying horse!'' said Dennis Creevy of Gryffindor.

Dennis' guess was closer . . . as the gigantic black shape skimmed over the treetops of the Forbitten Forest, and the lights shining from the castle windows hit it, they saw a gigantic, powder-blue, horsedrawn carriage, the size of a large house, soaring towards them.

The horses - each of them the size of an elephant - landed gracefully on the ground, the carriage following soon after. The front roll of students backed up to give more space to the guests. The doors opened and a boy in pale blue robes stumbled out, though quickly composed himself and unfolded a set of golden steps.

Y/n has only seen only one other person as large as the woman leaving the carriage and that was Hagrid. Her face relaxed into a gracious smile as she approached Dumbledore with an extended hand. Dumbledore himself was rather tall, but nothing in comparison to the woman.

''My dear Madam Maxime,'' he said. ''Welcome to Hogwarts.''

''Dumbly-door,'' said Madame Maxime, in a deep voice. ''I 'ope I find you well?''

''On excelled form, I thank you,'' said Dumbledore.

Madame Maxine beckoned her students over. There were numerous boys and girls who seemed to be in their late teens, each of them shivering from the cold.

'''As Karkaroff arrived yet?'' asked Madame Maxine.

''He should be here any moment,'' said Dumbledore. ''Would you like to wait here and greet him or would you prefer to step inside and warm up a little?''

''Warm up, I think,'' said Madame Maxine. ''But ze 'orses-''

Dumbledore assured Madame Maxine that everything would be fine and that Hagrid would be more than happy to take care of the animals when Lee Jordan yelled, ''The lake!''

From where she stood, Y/n could see the smooth surface of the lake just a moment before bubbles formed in the very middle of the lake. A long, black pole started rising from the water, slowly but surely revealing an enourmous ship.

The people that left the ship seemed big-built, but once they got closer everyone could see it was because of the thick, fur travelling coats they were wearing.

''Dumbledore!'' who Y/n assumed was Headmaster Karkaroff walked up to the Slope. ''How are you, my dear fellow, how are you?''

''Blooming, thank you, Professor Karkaroff,'' Dumbledore replied.

Y/n was still holding onto the scarf as she observed the students from the two schools. Karkaroff beckoned one of his students - who he called Viktor - over to him and a boy approached him. A boy Y/n knew very well, a boy that decorated a few of her Quidditch posters back at home.

''Oh my Salazar . . .'' Y/n spoke in amazement, causing both Montague and Adrien to turn to her. ''It's Viktor Krum!''