3 | Triwizard Tournament

hey guys, how are you? and thank you guys so much for 1k+ reads already! this book is growing so fast, i can't believe it!

- - -

''The Triwizard Tournament was first established some seven hundred years ago, as a friendly competition between the three largest European schools of wizardly - Hogwarts, Beauxbatons and Durmstrang. A Champion was selected to represent each school, and the Champions competed in three magical tasks. The school took it in turns to host the Tournament once every five years and it was generally agreed to be a most excellent way of establishing ties between young witches and wizards of different nationalities - until, that is, the death toll mounted so high that the Tournament was discontinued.''

Y/n furrowed her eyebrows. Death toll? As if that was going to stop her from entering.

''There have been several attempts over the centuries to reinstate the Tournament,'' Dumbledore continued, ''none of which have been very successful. However, our own Departments of International Magical Co-operation and Magical Games and Sports have decided the time to ripe for another attempt. We have worked hard over the summer to ensure that, this time, no champion will find himself or herself in mortal danger.''

''The Heads of Bauxbatons and Durmstrang will be arriving with their short listed contenders in October, and the selection of the three Champions will take place at Hallowe'en. An impartial judge will decide which students are most worthy to compete for the Triwizard Cup, the glory of their school, and a thousand Galleons personal prize money.''

''I'm going for it!'' Fred announced so loud that even Y/n heard him - not that he was too far from her, the only thing that divided them were a few meters. His words certainly did not surprise Y/n in the slightest. If anything, she would be more surprised if he wasn't planning on joining. She wasn't about to go down without a fight, though.

Fred wasn't the only one who envisioned himself as the Hogwarts Champion, it seemeed. On every table there were people with lit up faces, declaring they'd be joining the tournament as well, some even telling their friends what they would do once they win the money - it was chaos.

The Hall queted down once again when Dumbledore continued speaking. ''Eager though I know all of you will be to bring the Triwizard Cup to Hogwarts,'' he said, ''the Heads of the participating schools, along with the Ministry of Magic, have agreed to impose an age restriction on contenders this year. Only students who are of the age sixteen and older will be allowed to put forward their names for consideration. This-'' Dumbledore raised his voice slightly, for several people had made noises of outrage at these words, whilst Y/n noticed Fred and George high-fiving each other in triumph. ''-is a measure we feel is necessary, given that the Tournament tasks will be difficult and dangerous, whatever precautions we take, and it is highly unlikely that students below sixth and sevent year will be able to cope with them. I will personally be ensuring that no underage student hood-winks our impartial judge into making them the Hogwarts Champion. I therefore beg you not to waste your time submitting yourself if you are under sixtheen.

''The delegations from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang will be arriving in October, and remaining with us for the greater part of the year. I know that you will all extend every courtesy to our foreign guests while they are with us, and will give your whole-hearted support to the Hogwarts champion when he or she is selected. And now, it is late, and I know how important it is to you all to be alert and rested as you enter your lessons tomorrow morning. Bedtime! Chop chop!''

The Great Hall was filled with shuffling as students started getting up, Prefects ushering first years to follow them. Y/n straightened her green robes as she stood up, looking at Adrien who'd waited for her.

''Hey, want to go to the kitchens and grab some butterbeers? We both have first period free tomorrow morning,'' Adrien suggested.

Y/n shrugged. ''Fine, I'm down.''

''Great-''

''Y/n!''

The girl turned around upon hearing the familiar voice, noticing her brother making his way towards her
Another first-year boy following him, presumably a friend he'd made. Sam stood in front of her, a disappointed look on his face.

''I'm sorry I didn't get into Slytherin!'' he said quietly.

Y/n laughed, patting his head. ''It doesn't matter that you aren't in Slytherin,'' Y/n reassured him. ''I just hope you'll have fun in Gryffindor. Though, Slytherin's still better, so I pity you.''

Sam rolled his eyes. ''Yeah, we'll see,'' he said and looked around, noticing all the other first-years were gone. ''Shoot! Where're the others, Mike?''

Mike, Sam's friend, had spaced out and not noticed them leaving either. ''Oh no, I don't know! How're we going to get to the common room?''

''Well lads, you can count on us!'' Y/n looked up and noticed that Fred and George Weasley had approached the group of four, their friend Lee Jordan tagging along with them. ''We can lead you to the common room with no problem.''

''Aren't you Fred and George Weasley?'' asked Mike, looking at the twins in awe. ''My brother has told me so much about you! He's a second-year!''

''Ah, yes, that would be us, in all our glory,'' said Fred, flicking some of his hair back dramatically. ''Now, shall we go to the common room, fellow Gryffindors?''

''Don't corrupt my brother, Weasley,'' Y/n joked, giving Fred a mock-glare.

Fred shook his head. ''We'll see about that, L/n,'' Fred said and beckoned the two first-years to go along with Lee and George. ''Now, off we go. I will have to bid you good night, Slytherin Princess.''

Y/n rolled her eyes at the nickname, though she was glad the twins and Lee would bring her airhead of a brother to his common room. She bid them good night as well, then turned to Adrien, who'd remained quiet during the conversation. He looked quite stiff and annoyed, but Y/n didn't comment.

''You ready to crash the kitchens, Pucey?'' Y/n asked, which seemed to bring the boy out of his trance.

'''Course, L/n, let's go.'' The two rushed out of the Great Hall, passing the twins, Lee, Sam and Mike on the way.

Sam noticed the mischievous look on his sister's face and turned to look at Fred, who happened to be walking next to him. ''Hey, Fred, where're Y/n and Adrien going?''

Fred looked up upon his words, noticing the pair maneuvering their way through the people. Fred felt his mood faltering slightly, though he knew he shouldn't be surprised - they're best friends, after all.

''Probably back to their common room,'' Fred suggested quietly, stuffing his hands in his uniform pockets and remaining quiet for the rest of the walk.