16

I've never shedded so many tears before. I can't keep crying. I need to get out of this disgusting place as soon as possible.
I had to stay there for a few days until I was healed enough to walk around. I was eventually dropped off at my house that for once I was grateful it was empty. How would I explain to my dad if he was here? I stroll into the living room and slump onto the couch. I unlatch my sling for my shoulder and slowly move my arm around testing its mobility. It didn't hurt anymore but there were still bruises that littered my body elsewhere. I grab the remote and turn on the TV I watched the screen for what seemed like a second but when I looked out the window it was dark outside. I don't even remember what I was watching. I kick my feet up and lay down on the couch. I close my eyes letting the TV watch me as I try to sleep. But every time I close my eyes I keep getting reminded of what happened. I continue to jolt awake and eventually I give up on sleep and go fix myself a sandwich.

I try to eat the sandwich slowly bringing myself to take a bite. Anna didn't attempt to feed me while I was being held there. Not that I expected her to. I try to keep it down but my memories of that disgusting day kept flashing through my mind. I gag at the thought and the sandwich came up along with what else I tried to drink. Drinking things were easier but never held enough calories to keep me from becoming dizzy. I lurch over the sink wiping my mouth in exhausted. This was my 4th time trying to eat the same damn sandwich. I can't keep anything down. I slid to the floor holding my knees to my chest. I put my head on my knees taking a few short breaths. Just make it go away. All of a sudden I heard a ringing noise. I stand up and look around the house until I found my phone on the floor by the door. The phone had stopped ringing, I pick up the phone looking to see many missed phone calls. From Raul, Vivian and an unknown number that I think is Clyde's. I pinch the bridge of my nose. I completely forgot about school. Vivian and I even had a project that was due and I missed it. I feel even worse knowing I probably affected her grade something that I loathed. What about my attendance. The school probably called my dad. I put the phone down on the counter and held my head in my hands trying to think of an explanation anything that could explain why I wasn't at school and why I didn't answer anybody's calls. I refuse to tell them the nauseating truth.
Maybe I could say I was sick and fell down the stairs and I needed to recover. I mean some of these bruises look like I tumbled down a couple of flights. I must have so much work to do. I try to stop thinking for a moment and take a deep breath I was beyond overwhelmed. It was hard enough that I was having a hard time sleeping and eating. The worse part was not being able to erase my memories.

I text them all back and give them my stair explanation. Vivian was the first to text back. ["Jeez I hope you're ok. Why didn't you tell us earlier?"] she texts
["I didn't have my phone with me I'm sorry. How did the presentation go?"] I text back feeling awful for lying to her like this. ["You're lucky you draw so well or we would have failed the teacher liked the story but not as much as the illustrations."] she texts I let out a breathy sigh. At least that went well. I get a text from Raul ["You kind of dropped off the face of the earth for a few days without letting anyone know."]
I already know he's angry. [" I'm sorry I was injured. I'll be at school tomorrow I swear."] I text back. He responds in a flash [" Don't lie to me!"] I smile [" I'm not."] I text back. technically I'm not lying, I am injured.
The rest of the night was a blur and mostly consist of me going to my room and staring at my ceiling until daylight shone through the windows. It was a rough night.
I went for a shower a shower that was the longest one I have ever taken. I just kept scrubbing profusely but if felt like I could never be clean. Afterward got dressed in my usual hoody and Adidas joggers.
When I had made it to school I almost felt relieved. As much as I didn't want to talk about anything that happened but I also I didn't want to be alone.
When I enter the cafeteria and walk to my usual table Vivian and Raul were sitting there. I sit down next to Vivian as we faced Raul who was on the other side of the table. They both gave me an expecting glance. "So?" Raul lets out looking confused. "What?" I ask dumbly. his eyebrows furrow "What the fuck happened to your face. It's worse than the first time." he complained.
I shrugged  "I already told you what happened." I reminded him he pinches the bridge of his nose and sighs. "Well, explain it again, so we can understand why you look like you've been tossed against a wall a few too many times," Vivian said I could see the worry in her eyes something I wasn't used to seeing. "I fell." I said shortly and Raul snorts "If your gonna lie please do better than that, I starting to get a feeling you think I'm dumb." He stated. I shake my head "I don't think you're dumb. Raul, I never said that!" I objected "You don't have to say it. People only lie to people they deem dumb enough to believe their lies." He ended he looked at me sadly. "Don't lie to us, we're supposed to be your friends," Vivian added bringing her hand to my shoulder. I flinched away from the touch. I didn't mean to I quickly look at her. "Sorry." I blurt. She gives me a worried look. "I-I know I'm just-it won't happen again." I stammer flashing a small smile. Raul gets up and shakes his head " I can't believe this shit. I'll talk to you later when start telling the truth." he huffs walking out of the cafeteria. Vivian rolls her eyes at him " It's ok, It's really none of our business but whenever you're ready." she pipes before getting up to run after Raul. I sigh deeply cupping my head in my hands.

The first bell rings and before I walk into class I scan the room for Annabella and Santi. I can't explain the rush of relief I felt when I saw they weren't there. Raul was sitting in his chair and I knew by the look on his face there was no point in trying to talk to him. He knew I was lying and wasn't falling for any of my bullshit. I set my bag down and take out my notebook. The second bell rings and the teacher walked in. "Ok class time for the test." I look around to see people taking out their pencils. "Ah shit just had to be today" I whisper to myself. I don't even know what the test would be about. I slowly get out of my seat and walk up to the teacher's desk. "Yes, Mr. Myong? "She looks up at me through her glasses. "I wasn't here." I say lowly "I'm aware." she states unclipping a stack of papers. "How am I supposed to take a test if I don't know what it's about." I question a bit of panic creep into my voice. She sighs and puts the papers down. "Fine let's make a deal. Just sit down and do the test today and I'll let you retake it another day. Okay?" I nod my head. She gives me a sorry look, "I don't know what your situation is but you can't keep not coming to school." she said with a looking up at my bruised face with pity. "Ok the test is about to start go sit down," she said gesturing to my seat. I thank her and go to sit down. She passed out the papers and I feel a bit stupid. I don't know why I thought no one else could see the bruises. I felt them more than I saw them and I never really thought about trying to hide them. I thought they had at least faded but they haven't. I finally realized what Raul was so mad about. The evidence that I was lying was right in front of his face just like my lies. I could never explain why my face looked like it caught every stair of a winding staircase.
I scribble on the test paper waiting for the time to be up, I just put down random answers since it didn't matter what I put. I was never crazy about math and occasionally enjoyed solving problems. Today was just not the day to even try.
Raul continued to not talk to me for the rest of the day and Vivian kept me company during lunch dragging Clyde along with us to the library. "What's wrong with his face? He said to Vivian before turning to me.
"You don't seem like the type to get in a fight, much less win one." Clyde said looking up from his book. Vivian shushed him and gave me a sorry glance. I thought he would gripe the whole time but he didn't, he just continued to read his book. We [Vivian and I] finally finished the book we were reading. All I can say is I understand why it's her favorite. We're so nerdy only we would read books during lunch. She offered to come over to my house after school but I decided to decline the offer. Not because I didn't want her to come over. I would love for her to come over. I just don't think I should. I feel all fuzzy inside when she's around. Wait...maybe this is what liking someone feels like,or excitement. Do people usually tell people that they like them? I don't know...maybe tomorrow. I have nothing else to lose.