20

I woke up to the clattering of objects my eyes snapped open with me on high alert. Where the fuck is my phone. I blindly search around for something to defend myself with, I ended up with a steel-toed boot. Eh Good enough. I creep to my door listening as it became silent. I quietly open my door and peek down the hall. Then I could hear something moving again. Who in the world would decide to break into this average-looking house. Maybe it's a cat or something. That's stupid. If anyone it has to be someone related to Annabella. And with this boot in my hand, I will swing to kill. I crept down the hallway toward the kitchen then I heard some more objects falling following some shuffling further into the living room. I raised the boot high as I walked past the kitchen and into the living room. My foot felt wet as I stepped forward. I could see a dark figure slumped on the floor against the couch. The person wasn't moving. I walked backward quickly making sure not to let them out of my sight and cut the lights on. 
"Dad?" I drop the boot looking down at all the mud and water on the floor. He looked bad. I rushed to his side where I could see him looking completely out of it. I tapped the side of his face trying to wake him. "Dad! Wake up." I yell shaking him. He opened up his eyes. "What happened?"I question frantically he shook his head trying to gain his senses "The investigation...the people knew we were close. They sent people to takeout everyone involved in the investigation. Especially the forensic team." He said wiping his head. "It's way bigger than a street gang. He said wincing as he tried to get up. I grab his arm trying to lift him. I pull his arm around my shoulder and he rises with me. "Did they find you?" I ask as I walk him to his room. "Unfortunately, but instead of killing me they pumped me full of these experimental drugs." He says dryly I walk him into his room. "I got it from here, Leo. I'm sorry I didn't get to bring you back a gift." He said with a voice full of remorse. I shake my head. "Fuck the gift you should be worried about what those drugs are doing to you. Your sweating bullets." I say letting go of him. He chuckles "I'm still gonna get you something." His priorities are mixed up which is unusual for him, maybe it's the drugs. "Dad, go take a shower. I'll clean up all the mud and other things you broke." I said as I walked out of the room. I had to throw away some glass and wipe the floor of muddy boot prints. When he had walked into the kitchen he looked much better compared to previously. I had finished cleaning up his mess putting everything where it belonged. He still walked like he was a little unbalanced. He sat down after pulling out a chair from the table. "Who were you investigating or is it too confidential?." I ask throwing the towel into the sink. "There's no point in trying to keep it confidential now." he sighed I lead on the counter. "Well we thought all those shootings were from gang fights but it was way more. There were informants leaking info of our investigation to the Morales family." He said trying to piece together his understanding. I felt my heart ping with panic as I heard that name. "They weren't a gang it was just the enforcers of the Mafia tying up loose ends. And unfortunately, we caught a whiff of what was happening. Not long after the investigation started they started threatening us in subtle ways. So we went into hiding for about a week while continuing the investigation. Eventually, most people on the case were killed or tortured then killed. But somehow I was returned." He said turning his head to me his face wore this suspicious look. "Why?" I asked looking him in the eye "I don't know you tell me, Leon. Do you know a Morales?" he questioned. What is he talking about? "Where is this coming from?" I ask anxiously "Answer the question, Leon." He said sternly "Why would you think I would know one?" I question "Because after one of the masked men said I was your father they let me go!" He yelled I flinched at his voice. He's never yelled at me before. "Did you do this to me? To us? All those people died, Leon!" he shouted I shake my head frantically. "I didn't do anything. I had nothing to do with this." I assure him. "Don't lie to me. You know I'm sick of that. You've been lying a lot lately." he muttered rising from his seat. He staggered towards me and I had my hands ready for him if he ended up falling. "Are you in the Mafia? Huh?" he said grabbing my face. "No! Dad why would I-" I say his grip on my jaw tightens. "Ow!" I say "You've been the informer. That was such a good ploy." he chuckled darkly. "Dad? What are you talking about?" I question confused? I pull my face out of his grip. I look at him the sclera of his eyes burning red and his pupils were dilated. Why is he acting like this? It must be the drug. "I would have never guessed it was you!" he yelled before pulling my hair. "I thought I could trust you!" he threw me onto the ground. "Shit!" I hiss trying to get up. "Dad go lay down! It's the drug." I yell getting frustrated "Lay down so you can kill me in my sleep?!" he questions before launching at me. "I think not." he chuckled punching me in the chest. We tussle on the floor. My dad was trying to kill me and I was trying to get away. Whatever that drug was made him paranoid and extremely angry. He was being driven by a blind rage that I couldn't escape. "Dad it's the drug! I didn't do anything!" I yell hoping he would hear me through whatever rage ridden blood was pumping through his ears. His fist hit me in my stomach making me hiss. I have never got in a fight with my dad neither physical nor verbal. I didn't want him to be this way. I especially didn't want to do this. I swing my arm and punch him square in the jaw. He was already dizzy before his brain was probably bouncing around now. I kicked him using both of my legs and he fell backward. He was knocked unconscious. It didn't look like he hit his head hard, on the ground at least. I drag him to his room and pull him onto his bed. Hopefully, when he wakes up the mysterious drug, would have worn off and he would be back to my calm considerate father. I huff as I close his door behind me. I don't want to be here when he wakes up just in case he doesn't wake up as who I know him to be. I take my jacket and phone with me and leave.
I text Raul first to see if I could crash at his place but he didn't answer. He was most certainly asleep. I text Vivian who replied "You know My mom won't let you over here. Ask Clyde."  Shit! That's who I didn't want to ask. I sigh as I walk into a gas station. I call Clyde the phone rings for a bit "Yeah?" I hear his raspy voice come through the phone. "Yeah, Clyde?" I say already knowing it was him. "Leon? What's up?" he said "Sorry for waking you but can I crash at your place for tonight?" I ask nervously biting the inside of my cheek. There was some silence on the other line before he answered "Um...Yeah where you at?" He said I could hear the zipping of clothes in the background. "I'm sending you my location." I confirmed, "Thank you, Clyde." I say genuinely thankful. "Yeah, no problem." He said before hanging up. I sent him my location and within 20 minutes I saw his Silver Mercedes G-wagon pull up to the gas station. I step out and walk up to the car. I open the door and sit in the passenger seat. "Thanks again," I say still sorry for disturbing his sleep. He nodded his head and pulled off down the street. "What happened?" he questioned I let out a heavy sigh "Too much. Too much for me." I say he nods his head and leaves it at that. When we pulled up to his house I didn't know what I expected. It was a big house but there didn't seem to be anybody else there. He gets out of the car and walks into his house I follow closely behind him. "I only got one bed so..." he said drowsily walking down the hall. I take my shoes off at the door and follow him. "Where are your parents?" I ask looking around. "I'm an orphan." He deadpanned "Oh," I said following him as he opened the door to his bedroom. I could see he left in a rush. He undressed down to his boxers and a shirt and fell onto the bed face first. "Do I sleep here too?" I ask he groans and turns onto his back. "I don't care I just let me sleep." He groaned. I take off my jacket and pants and lay down on the other side of the bed. He was already back to sleep. I pulled the blankets over my body and turned away from him closing my eyes. This was better than nothing.