Chapter 19: No Excuses

Chapter 19

January 31st, the official date of my release from punishment finally makes its way around. I'd have to wait another week if my aunt hadn't decided to release me from my grounding early. I think it's because I cleaned the house top to bottom three times over. This past week has been painful. Maddox is angry at me and I've been avoiding Caroline at all costs. Every time she'd bring up dates in our conversation, I turn the entire discussion around. The last thing I'd want is to go on another fake date with Maddox. For some reason, he's still upset about the fact that he's out of loop. And every time one of our friends gives me a look after saying something about Maddox, the topic himself turns around with a clenched jaw and glares at me, as if it's my fault. It makes me question his intelligence. What does he possibly think it is?

"Isaac is coming home now so we'll be there by seven," Winona tells me through the phone. I sigh and put my bag down on the ground. I take a seat on the porch swing and stare at the darkening sky. I've given my night away to a sleepover at Cassidy's house, which I'm regretting just a bit now. 

It's already six o'clock and I was supposed to be there at 5. They wanted to pick me up at noon before Isaac had to go to work but I was halfway through a shift of my own, and I didn't get out until four. And when my aunt picked me up, I asked her to let me spend the night at Cassidy's and she said I could, but she couldn't give me a ride there because she had to go to work. So I have no choice but to wait for the three teens to come and collect me, whenever that is.

"Why don't you just ask Maddox to give you a ride?" Cassidy asks me. "Then we can all hang out for a bit."

"Because he's mad at me, that's why," I answer as if it's obvious. "Besides, I don't need Maddox to do everything.

"Of course you don't- just to give you a ride here," Winona encourages.

"Kiss him again and he'll forgive you for whatever it is he's mad at!" Cassidy jokes from the background.

I promised Maddox that I wouldn't tell anyone that he knew something was up. The promise works in my favor, too. If our friends had any idea that Maddox is aware of the secret, they'd probably let it slip "accidentally." I can't afford that. Not now, at least. Maybe some other time, like when I'm going to go home to Warrensville for good.

"I'm not asking and that's final," I tell her.

"Fine, then I'll ask," Cassidy responds in a faint voice.

"No!" I shout but it's too late. Winona already hung up the phone and I'm left staring at it and stomping my foot angrily. If I didn't have to deal with Chelsea and Tracy tonight, I'd just stay home.

A few moments later, I get an incoming call from Winona. "He'll be there in fifteen minutes," she announces and I swear at her before hanging up. I walk back inside the house and go straight to the fridge for a drink. 

"Where are you going?" my cousin wonders curiously from the living room. She's also waiting for her friends to show up, except they're sleeping here.

"To my friend Cassidy's house," I answer in short.

"You're spending the night?" she presses when she notices the bag on my shoulder.

"Yeah," I confirm.

"Is that just an excuse to go to a party?" she questions.

I snort. "No, I don't go to parties anymore."

"Well if you do hear about a party, tell me. I don't want to deal with Chelsea and Tracy all night," she drones as she lay across the couch, stretching her legs out.