Chapter 23: I Dropped my Spoon

Chapter 23

It doesn't take long for Saturday to roll around, and once it does, I'm a nervous wreck. I somehow let Raven's words get to my head and I've been over-analyzing everything Maddox has been doing. I did it yesterday to the point where it drove me insane! Whenever he'd smile or laugh, I'd feel a jolt in my stomach and I'd wonder if Maddox really did have feelings for me. Even if I have the nerve to ask, I wouldn't do that to myself or to him. He may feel pressured into answering yes, or he may crush my heart and say no, and then our friendship will definitely be awkward.

I pace around my room and rub my hands along my jeans. I changed my outfit four times in the span of an hour in order to find the right one. I finally settle on a cute blue sweater and a pair of dark jeans. The last thing I want to do is dress in red or pink. I don't want him to think that I think this is a date, which I don't. I wish it was but I know it isn't. This is simply a hang out session. But if it's just two friends hanging out, why didn't he schedule it for Friday, or even Sunday? Why Valentine's Day? I immediately shake my head as I continue to walk back and forth.

Maddox said he'd be here at six and it's only 5:45, but I've been ready since 4:30. A knock on my door causes me to jump and I walk over and opened it. My cousin, who is dressed in pajama pants and a sweater, scrutinizes me. "I was going to ask if you wanted to watch a movie but it seems that you have plans," she acknowledges with a growing smile.

"You don't?" I ask her with wide eyes. I assumed she'd be with Jackson out at some romantic restaurant across town.

"Nope," she sighs with a shake of her head.

"What about Jackson?" I question awkwardly and she shrugs.

"He never asked me," she frowns. "But it's fine. You know what they say- on to the next one."

"Yeah, that's true," I shrug as she takes a seat on my bed.

"So you're going out?" she asks as she watches me pace back and forth.

"I'm going to hang out with Maddox," I tell her. "As friends," I add when I saw the grin on her lips.

"On Valentine's Day?" she questions with narrowed eyes.

I give a weak nod. "He asked if I wanted to hang out. I said yes," I relay the short conversation to her.

"Where are you guys going?" she wonders aloud as I assess myself in the mirror.

"His house," I answer, which gets a surprised look from her. "I didn't want to go out. Couples would be everywhere, and it just wouldn't be a good scene."

She nods in understanding. "Because you guys obviously don't like each other or anything," she replies sarcastically.

I shoot her a glare in the mirror. "I don't know for sure if he likes me."

"I mean, he asked you to hang out on Valentine's Day. Doesn't that say anything?" she mutters as she sits on her hands.

"I don't want to assume! This could just be typical boy behavior! What do I know? I've never even had a boyfriend," I scoff as I put my head in my hands.

"I know that guys don't just ask girls to hang out on Valentine's Day unless they have feelings for them," Vivica informs me. "And I've had four boyfriends."

The sound of a horn honking outside greets my ears and I look at Vivica in a panicky state. "What do I do?!" I hiss nervously.

"Put on your coat and go outside," she replies as if mentally questioning my sanity. I nod before shoving my arms into my coat and zipping it up. Making sure I have all of my belongings, I follow my cousin out of my room, making sure to turn off the light and close the door behind me.