Chapter 1: The Mighty Fall

Chapter 1

Embarrassing.

That's the one word I'm going to use to describe my first day at my new school, Gregory H. Peters Preparatory High School. Everyone keeps staring at me like I'm an alien. I'm betting that they don't get new kids very often. I stick out like a sore thumb. And the fact that I have no choice but to trail behind Vivica and her friends doesn't help whatsoever. So far, I've made no friends.

I miss my old school. I didn't think I'd miss my old school, to be honest. I had a few friends there, most of whom I still talk to via text message and social media. I received a few "I miss you already" tweets this past weekend but I didn't bother to respond because that's just who I am, I guess. Distant is what my friends called me. Wild is what my parents called me, which is the entire reason why I'm here, in Harrington.

Parties, parties, parties. That's all I did according to my parents. In actuality, I went to school, ate, slept, occasionally partied, watched television, and read. I also hung out with my younger brother, Charlie, pretty often. Speaking of Charlie, I miss him a lot, probably more than I miss my parents. I was out of 'control and needed a change of scenery'. I think my father was just embarrassed of having to break up parties that I threw, or was attending. He said that he made the decision to send me to Aunt Genevieve's as a father, not as a cop. But for some reason, I don't think that's the case.

By the time lunch comes around, I'm unsure of where I'm going to sit. I don't want to be around Vivica and her toxic friends but I have nowhere else to go, really. My eyes scan the cafeteria once, twice, and three times before I notice Chelsea waving at me in the left, back corner of the large room. Should I just ignore her and pretend I didn't see her? But then where would I go? Hesitantly, I make my way over there, drawing eyes as I do. I let out a sigh. I wish I had spoken to someone, anyone, just so I wouldn't have to sit at my cousin's table. Today, I learned that she's popular, very popular. I just assumed that she was just a snob, but no, she's a very popular snob. So popular that she manages to split crowds just by entering a room. If that didn't make me uncomfortable, the way she's whispering at the table does.

I stop in my tracks, uncertain of whether or not I should actually go to the table. I can lie and say that I have to change my schedule, which is actually fine. I only have one class with Vivica and it's my first period class, which I can deal with. On Friday, when I was forced to hang out with Chelsea and Tracy, they demanded I give them my schedule. I have one class with Tracy and two with Chelsea, but I realized that she usually skips those classes. She said so in the car ride this morning, which I was also forced into taking.

As I stand a few feet from the table, I decide that I'll just leave. I hastily turn around and slam into someone. The loud cafeteria falls silent as the sound of two people colliding and falling to the ground wafts through the air. I hear a deep voice swear and I feel my face immediately warm up. I waste no time in formulating my apologies. I'm such an idiot. I was just standing in the middle of the cafeteria staring at the table like a doofus.

I stand up and look down at the guy that I bumped into. The ketchup that I retrieved for my fries is now a stain on his black uniform shirt. I continue to apologize as I look around for napkins; no one offers any. Instead, they all stare at us. By the tense aura of the room, I can tell that whoever I just bumped into isn't someone to be messed with. I'm guessing the people around us are expecting him to lash out at me by the way they stare at him, waiting for a reaction.

"I'm sorry," I apologize again when I can't offer him any napkins. My lunch lay abandoned on the floor, as does his unopened soda bottle. I immediately pick it up and hand it to him. He stares at my outstretched palm before grabbing the soda. His green eyes stare at me as I try to explain the situation.