Chapter 8: I Can Be Santa Claus

Chapter 8

I spend the next few days trying to found out what Maddox is afraid of. However, I've been asking all the wrong people. Cassidy says that in all of her years knowing Maddox, she's never bothered to ask what he's scared of. Winona says something similar, but replies in a joking voice: "Well, he's scared of commitment, if that's what you mean." But that's not what I meant. I'd probably be able to build off of that if I need to. I mean, I can always write the word "commitment" on a sheet of paper and hang it above his head with a fishing pole. If I'm lucky, he'll skip town.

Because I refuse to speak to Maddox, he has to come to me to plan another get together for our American Literature project. We have to edit our book and make any corrections to it. "Today?" he proposes on Wednesday during art.

I simply shrug. He tells me the time, five o'clock, and the location, his house. I shrug again before going back to the painting I'm working on. He lets out a slightly frustrated sigh by my lack of communication and I want to laugh and ask how he likes it. By the end of the day, I'm a bit relieved that I'd be going over his house, though. The sooner this project is complete, the sooner I can cut all ties with him.

When I arrive home, I plan on asking my aunt for permission to go to Maddox's house but she isn't there. I go up to my room and listen to Vivica's loud conversation as I stroll down the hallway. Once I enter my room, I pull out my book bag and start on my homework, finishing my Forensics and my Pre-Calculus with ease.

While attempting to work on the homework from my last American Literature class, which is to read four pieces of literature from the olden days and evaluate it, I realize that I'm completely and utterly lost. I skip that and manage to finish the rest of my homework before 4:15. I spend the next fifteen minutes getting ready and putting my stuff in my bag. My aunt still isn't home by 4:30 so I just leave her a note before heading out. If I text her and ask, there's a chance she'll say no. Though slim, I'd rather not risk it. Besides, there's a chance I can get home before her and rip up the note.

As I'm was walking to Maddox's house, under the dim skies and the thick, dark clouds, I sigh loudly. I feel drops of rain hit my face slowly and I suck my teeth when I realize that I didn't even bring a hooded sweater or an umbrella.

I hear a loud honking behind me so I whip around and prepare to have a battle with a predator only to find that it's just Abel. He slows down to a stop beside me and grinned. "Are you heading to my house?"

"Yeah," I nod as I hold a hand above my eyebrows.

"Have fun getting there in the rain!" he calls as he drove a few feet. I stare at the back of his jeep with a flat look on my face. They really are brothers. The car stops and he slowly backs up. "I'm kidding. Get in." I walk over towards the car and grab the handle, letting myself into his vehicle. The warm air greets me and I sigh in relief. "Maddox didn't offer you a ride?" 

"No, but it's not like I'd accept it anyway," I scoff with a shake of my head. I rub my hands together in front of the heaters.

"You're stubborn, you know that?" he asks me.

"I get that a lot," I reply with an understanding nod. We sit in silence, or at least I so. Abel's humming to himself and I decide to cut in as he attempts to sing the high notes of the song playing, which results in wavering hums that hurt my ears. "Hey Abel, do you know a lot about Maddox?"

"Well, he's my brother, so I'd say yes," he quickly drops the humming and tunes into conversation without skipping a beat.

"What's he scared of?" I inquire curiously.

"That's easy! Spiders," Abel confirms and I feel an evil grin spread across my face as I began to laugh, cutting Abel off as he tries to further his statement. He looks at me and I sit there cackling loudly "A-are you okay? Should I call someone?"