Chapter 5: Carlos and the Missing Cat

Chapter 5

It's raining on Saturday. I wake up at noon only to find that both my aunt and cousin are gone. Slightly grateful that I don't have to face them with my tear stained face, I shower and get ready for my three o'clock meeting with Maddox. I have my book bag packed and I even text Maddox at two to see if we're still on. He says that we are with a nicely worded insult, and so I set off at 2:30. I mostly play in the rain, swinging my umbrella around and around, trying to see how fast I can spin it before it flies out of my hands and I have to run and get it.

I arrive at Maddox's house soaked in rainwater. When I knock on the door, the only thing he can say is: "Really?" I just shrug in response, close my umbrella, and then shed off my jacket. After hanging the coat up where he points and putting the umbrella down in the entrance hallway, I wipe my feet on the mat and pray that I don't mess up his floors. They look expensive and I know for a fact that if I did mess them up, he wouldn't hesitate to slide the bill into my aunt's mailbox.

"Just take off your shoes," he requests impatiently after four minutes of me vigorously wiping my feet on the mat. My eyes widen slightly when I realize that I'm wearing mismatched socks. Hesitantly, I take off one shoe, revealing the neon pink ankle sock, and then the other shoe, revealing the bright green and orange knee sock. He sighs when he sees my feet and shakes his head but motions for me to follow him. We enter the living room and I look around, allowing my eyes to settle on the fancy furniture. Everything is so...clean. There's no mess anywhere. Since it's basically one large room, I look to the kitchen and there's not a drop of anything anywhere. There are no dishes in the sink. Every cabinet is closed and the house seems like it isn't lived in. I feel like I don't belong.

"It's nice," I tell him with a nod. He doesn't bother to respond. He drops onto the couch, grabs his book bag, and takes out his American Literature folder. "What's the main character's name going to be?" I ask him once we decide to do a book about a boy who learned what responsibility is.

"Fernando Ferdinand," Maddox suggests.

"I was thinking something that small children could pronounce," I correct him.

"Carlos," he responds and I figure that's good enough.

"Okay, Carlos it is," I reply and jot it down. "He has to babysit his neighbor's cat for a few days."

"Babysit?" Maddox asks me with raised brows. "A cat?"

"Cat-sit," I glare at him. "Okay. The cat should run away for a day or so."

"And then magically return?" Maddox asks me with an annoyed look on his face. "You're giving these kids false hope."

"If you have a better idea, I'd love to hear it," I scoff at him. He rolls his eyes but writes down my idea anyway.

After we figure out the plot of the story, my phone starts ringing. I look at it and pick it up. Maddox is busy getting something to drink from the kitchen. "Hey mom."

"It's me, Olive," my little brother's voice enters the phone. I grin widely at the sound of his babyish voice.

"How are you doing?" I inquire as I get comfortable on the couch.

"I'm great, how are you?" he responds like a little adult.

"I'm good, too. Did you have fun last night?" I continue the conversation.

"A whole bunch! But I ate a lot of my candy, so mommy took it away," my brother explains sadly.

"I still have mine!" I respond in an evil voice.

"That's not fair! Can you try and convince mommy to give mine back?" he pleads.

"I'll try," I reply with a large smile.