Chapter 20: You're Something Else

Chapter 20

The week goes by excruciatingly slow. I'm present when Cassidy asks Jackson out. She does it casually. She simply mentions hanging out together, alone. He agrees and they made plans right there. I, on the other hand, am waiting for Maddox to mention the fact that we have a double date to attend on Saturday. But it isn't until Thursday that he actually does so. He takes me to the side and informs me about it. I simply nod and tell him I'd be there. I wonder why it took him so long. Maybe he'd forgotten.

On Friday, before work, my aunt and I have to stop at the mall. Aunt Genevieve has to get something to wear and buy a gift for a coworker's baby shower that she's going to. I'm only tagging along on the shopping trip because she's going to drop me off at work once we're finished here. We're walking around and she stops in a dress shop to look at their selection while I aimlessly explore. I notice a familiar face standing at the rack a few feet away and my eyes widen.

I'm too busy staring to even think about looking away and when she turns around and sees me, she smiles a small smile. She starts in my direction and I swear quietly, wondering what I should do. Should I leave the store? Should I just stand here and pretend to be a mannequin?

"Hey, Olivia," she greets me as if we're old friends that go way back.

"Hey, Raven," I smile at her. "I didn't know you work here."

"Oh, yeah, I got the job a few weeks ago," she smiles before taking note of my work shirt. "I see you also have a job."

"Yeah," I acknowledge as I look down. "I'm just trying to get accustomed."

She nods in understanding. "So how are you?"

"I'm good, and, uh, you?" I ask her. I hadn't realized how pretty she is when I saw her before. Maybe I was just never close enough to her to notice.

"I'm good..." she trails. "How is everyone?"

This is so very awkward. "They're good," I confirm.

"How's Maddox? Is he alright?" she asks me curiously.

"Yeah, he's good," I reply, feeling nervous. I really don't want to have this conversation with her. There's an awkward silence in which I struggle to come up for an excuse to leave but she continues talking to fill in for it.

"We used to have a thing, you know? I just wanted to make sure he's okay now that it's over," she replies casually before quietly scoffing. "I've moved on but I'm not sure if he has. Or ever will, really."

I stare at her and feel myself growing irritated. She's talking like she's perfect. I, of all people, know that Maddox isn't the greatest person but, from what I hear, she definitely wasn't the best, either. "Didn't he end it?" I can't stop myself from asking. I really should know my place and just excuse myself from the conversation.

She looks taken back and I feel the same way. "Yeah, but I mean, we both liked each other a lot. I was his first love, after all. I don't think he'll ever really get over me," she explains and I suddenly realize what she's doing. She's trying to deter me from pursuing Maddox. I feel irritated that she'd meddle like this. All those times I tried to help him treat her right and this is what she does.

"Didn't he end it because he stopped liking you?" I blurt before I can stop myself. I'm supposed to be the bigger person. "I mean, at least that's what he told me."

"Maddox may be a player, but he loved me whether he wants to admit it or not," Raven assures me with a shake of her head. "He was horrible to be in a relationship with."

My eyebrows jump up on my forehead at her words. "Was he also really clingy? Or was that just you?" I deliver the low blow and she seems to pick up on my insinuations.