10 ➤ Back Home

Ludovica shook her head as she fought to stay standing. The man she loved had deceived her in the worse of ways. All these months she had been enveloped in immense pain, at times thinking that perhaps it would be easier to end it all and be finally at peace.

"You all lied to me." Although it shouldn't have surprised her. They were Dimitri's friends not hers after all.

When Jace moved, she slapped him across his face, a snarl escaping her lips. "Why would he put me through such agony?"

"He turned human...he thought that he would age."

"That's no fucking excuse!" She stepped back when Walter grabbed her arm and told her to calm down. Over and over, she tried to no avail. The pain was too great. "Nothing excuses what he did." She met Jace's gaze. "Dimitri is dead to me."

Joanna came down with Rhett and a wide awake Hope. Ludovica picked her up in her arms, giving her a kiss on the cheek before handing her to her mother.

"I need a run." She was out of the house before anyone could stop her. As she sprinted through the forest, she fought back tears. Within seconds, she shifted to her wolf form. Now, she moved faster than before, zig-zagging around the enormous trees.

When she halted, she shifted back, becoming dressed in a black dress instantly that fell loosely down to her knees. After she inhaled deeply, she faced Walter.

Of course he would follow her.

He cared about her as much as she cared about him.

"I'm fine."

"The hell you are."

She smiled as she wrapped her arms around herself. "I cannot be as forgiving as you."

"I'm not asking you to—No one should."

"All this time I hoped that he was alive..." She fought back a cry as she tried her best to not breakdown. "It hurts knowing he didn't think of the consequences—He shouldn't have made that decision for me."

Walter inched closer and grasped her shoulders. "Ludovica, he has many enemies. It's clear that he stayed away because he believed that he could no longer protect you as human."

Before she could say anything, at a soft laughter, she turned to face a tall female who stood feet from them.

She smiled, a smile that flaunted sharp incisors. "I never believed someone could radiate such immense power without being the child of true mates."

Ludovica stood beside Walter. "Who the hell are you?"

The female's smile grew from ear to ear. "Eva." When she raised her hand with a tribal mark that intertwined to form a intricate half moon, it glistened like a rainbow from copper to silver then gold.

Then it hit Ludovica.

She moved but the female was faster, dodging her attack effortlessly before striking the back of her knees, sending her to the ground for a moment.

Ludovica recovered and blocked the hit toward her face. Within seconds, Walter had the female by the neck, eyes dark as a moonless night. The female wrapped her hands around his, smiling.

"Walter, let her go!"

Ludovica pulled him back, managing to force him to let her go. He stumbled, but regained his footing, staring at his hands.

"What a power you posses." The female seemed ecstatic. "Though It should not surprise me—You are after all the King of the wolves." When the female tossed something on the ground, Ludovica shoved Walter away as it exploded right in front of her.