2 ➤ Run

"PLEASE, YOU CANNOT choose me."

"My wolf already made his decision."

Eleanor ran her hands through her hair as she turned. She had to find a way to stop this dominant wolf from speaking with her father. They had waited already for about forty minutes in the study in complete silence after he had dismissed Jessica. Soon, her father would arrive home.

"You don't understand. I'm not available. Jessica is. She was the one meant to meet you here. Please."

"Why has your father kept your existence a secret?"

Eleanor glanced over her shoulder at him. He stood behind her father's desk, arms folded across his chest. "I have no idea, but he must have his reasons."

"It's against pack law. Every name of the pack members must be kept in a file with information—"

"I know." Her eyes widened when she cut him off. "I'm sorry."

"Stop apologizing."

"Look, you don't want me as a mate. I might be a child of an Alpha, but I have an Omega mark." She raised her palm and unfolded her fingers to show him the tribal mark of a snarling wolf that represented the Starlight Pack. Hers shone copper meaning she was an Omega. Just because her parents were Alphas, it didn't mean she would be born with an Alpha mark.

She didn't even see him move.

One moment he stood behind the desk. The next, he was mere inches away from her. He grasped her wrist and placed her open hand above his heart where she knew the mark of his pack was imprinted into his skin. Her breath left her as heat spread through her. No matter how much she desired to draw closer to him, she planted her feet down.

"What is this?"

"Our wolves have bonded, Eleanor." He leaned closer. "For centuries our species have chosen mates and in rare occasions, their wolves actually bond."

She jerked her hand away. "I'm not forced to accept this."

"Of course not."

"Then why you act as if I have no other choice?"

"At least give me a chance."

"I never asked for this."

The doors opened and in came Adeline with a smile that reached her eyes. As she walked toward Walter she glanced at Eleanor and winked at her. Eleanor shot her a glare but froze when Adeline actually hugged Walter and kissed him on the cheek. She had multiple thoughts running through her mind. But the one that stunned her into complete silence was the fact she wanted to rip her sister apart for daring to touch what was hers.

"Why didn't you ever tell me you had a sister, Eli?"

Eli?

Eleanor glanced from her sister to Walter and finally understood.

They knew each other, and it was not just because he was their prince. No. Adeline actually knew him.

"I'm sorry, but I was prohibited from saying a word."

"Why?"

Adeline's smile faded. "He never explained his reasons."

Walter opened his lips to speak, but Eleanor didn't let him. "Why did you trick me?" She grabbed Adeline by the forearm and tugged her away from Walter. "You know how our father will react."

"Stop worrying. He will accept it."

"I doubt that."

"Eleanor, Walter is the prince. He outranks our father."