12 ➤ Broken Bond

"Eleanor, you cannot leave," Adeline said as she came into the house. "Are you out of your mind. Not only are you the only Alpha, but what if you get attacked or something?"

"I'll be fine and I've already told the Beta he is in charge until I return."

"Eleanor, you have responsibilities as Alpha-"

"I never wanted this. Half, if not all, of this pack despises me. Maybe I should just hand the title to him."

Adeline shook her head. "Our father gave the tittle to you, not him."

"He has been a great Beta, hasn't he?"

Adeline nodded. "But-"

"We'll discuss this when I return."

As Eleanor walked out of the house, she noticed her brother in the front yard with Kathleen. "Were you able to find out anything?"

He shook his head. "It's like they're shadows. Not even their DNA is in the system."

"Please keep a close eye on her," Eleanor said as she headed toward her car.

"Where are you going?"

She glanced over her shoulder. "To the Knight's territory."

"Why?" When Eleanor didn't answer, he grabbed her arm, stopping her in her tracks. "Eleanor, please don't do anything that you might regret later."

"All I want is to make sure Walter is okay."

"Of course he is. If he wasn't, we would know."

She wrenched her hand free. "I'm going like it or not."

"Aaliyah will have the right to attack you on sight because you don't have permission to enter her lands!" He grabbed her shoulder and whirled her around to face him. "Walter is fine."

"I had a vision. He was inside his car as fire devoured it."

Her brother was clearly at a loss for words.

"Okay, then, you're not going alone." Kathleen opened the back door and hoped in the car, not sparing them a glance. She lowered the window and smiled at them. "Well, are you going to just stand there?"

Eleanor was going to go to the driver side, but Isaac stopped her. "I know the way. I'll drive." She didn't argue and proceeded to getting on the back beside Kathleen while her brother got in the front passenger side.

During the entire ride, Eleanor glanced toward the forest, lost in thought. She raised her hand and opened her palm to stare at the golden mark of her pack. What was Ryan thinking? She couldn't be an Alpha. Not only was she not strong enough, she didn't possess the leading skills other Alphas did. She didn't even trust mostly everyone in her pack, and they didn't trust her.

"Eleanor, we are almost here."

As soon as Isaac said the words, the car came to an abrupt halt, the tires screeching. Eleanor's body came forward, the seatbelt stopping her from crashing against the back of the driver's seat.

"Fuck!" Isaac groaned. "Is everyone okay?"

"What happened?" Kathleen asked.

"I think we will get our answers soon."

Eleanor glanced forward and noticed three wolves heading in their direction in their human forms. When someone tapped Isaac's window, everyone stared at the female with bright emerald eyes like the forest.

"My apologies, but do you have permission to enter Knight's territory?"

Isaac lowered his window. "We are here to see my brother Walter."