6 ➤ Alpha of Starlights

As soon as the door was pushed open, Kathleen was already there greeting the regular customer. Of course she wouldn't waste any second in greeting Anthony. As she approached him, she twirled a blond lock of hair between her fingers. Her posture was perfect like a supermodel walking down the isle. Even in those roller-skates, she managed to look graceful.

As she greeted him with a smile, she said with a perky voice, "Welcome to Starlight Dinner..."

Eleanor glanced away and glanced around the dinner to find it busy as usual. In the mist of the regular customers, she caught a glimpse of Isaac as another of her coworkers served him his meal. Ever since she got the job here, both man had been coming here to keep an eye on her and most all of the girls ended up falling hard for both dominant wolves.

If they only knew the truth, Eleanor doubted they would be all over them. No. On the contrary, the would probably run in the opposite direction and scream for help.

"God, your brother is one hot piece of a man," Kathleen said as she stood beside Eleanor. "And his friend doesn't stay behind."

Eleanor picked up the order for table seven and managed to reach it without spilling anything or tripping as she had the first week she started working here. At first she thought she would never get a hang of it, but Kathleen had been correct. With practice, Eleanor got better at roller-skating. With a smile, she set the plate down. As she made her way back, Kathleen passed by her with a dazzling smile.

Eleanor shook her head when she glanced over her shoulder. Kathleen was making conversation with the boys and clearly had unbuttoned a couple of more of the buttons of her shirt to give them a clear view of her cleavage. Of course, it was all for Anthony, who seemed oblivious to it.

Eleanor took a glance at her watch and made her way to the back room. Once she had changed, she returned to the front, but froze at the door at the sight of Jace standing beside the table Anthony and Isaac sat at. Her heart pounded in her chest as she realized someone else was sitting on the table.

Stay in the back.

At her brother's voice, Eleanor stumbled back and stared in complete disbelief at Walter as the door closed, finally blocking him. As she ran her shuddering hands through her hair, she shook her head. This couldn't be happening. What was she talking about? She should have known he wouldn't leave until the council had paid for what they had done.

After the battle, she thought she would never see him again, but clearly she was wrong. She still remembered that night like it happened yesterday and not months ago. She had decided to help her friend Dmitri, never expecting that she would run into Walter.

As she managed to fight off a large wolf, she turned and bumped into someone, never expecting it to be Walter. The moment she had locked eyes with his violet ones, she gave thanks she had decided to wear a cape with a hood and covered half her face with a black cloth.

He didn't recognize her.

Arms folded over her chest, she waited for what seemed like eternity, but when she took a glance to her watch only fifteen minutes had passed. Right now, she was thankful she had finished her shift because if not, her boss wouldn't have been too pleased with her staying in the backroom.

When Jace walked into the back room, she asked, "Is he gone?"

"Not yet. Perhaps, it would be best if you spoke to him."

She shook her head, finding difficult to speak, breathe. Her heart clenched with agony, but she forced herself to not show it. "I don't want to return—if I do, the queen will destroy everyone I care for."