13 ➤ Shocking News

Eleanor still couldn't comprehend how she had missed how both brothers had so many similar features. Isaac met her eyes for a brief moment, long enough for her to notice they were violet and not dark chocolate.

He had been using contacts.

Such feature on a wolf would have told anyone he was of royal blood.

"Are you okay, Eleanor?" Walter asked.

She nodded, not able to form any words.

When Walter stood by her side, she had the sudden urge to move away. The second his fingers brushed her bare shoulder, she didn't have to glance at Isaac to know he wasn't pleased, but why wouldn't he be?

He had told her that he felt nothing for her.

She glanced at him to find him staring out the window behind the desk, a drink in hand.

Walter pulled her closer as he wrapped an arm around her waist. "Isaac has finally decided to step up and claim the crown."

"I said no such thing." He turned and set the cup down on the desk. "I have come back, but I don't plan to marry anyone or take such responsibility as to rule over the wolves."

"It is your duty, brother."

"You have been doing a great job. They don't need me...no one does." He sneaked a peak at Eleanor as his violet eyes shone gold. "It is best I return to the human city."

"No. You have to stay here. At least wait until my wedding. I would love for you to be there."

Isaac hesitated but nodded. "When is it?"

"Soon, in about two weeks."

"Okay, but after the wedding...I'm leaving like it or not." Without another word, Isaac exited the study, closing the door behind him.  Eleanor pulled away from Walter and faced him. With a smile that reached his eyes, he drew closer until their lips met. As he kissed her, there was no doubt in her mind that he was the man she loved, the one she wanted to spend the rest of her life with.

But why was there a small ache in her heart?

She was left breathless by the time he pulled back.

"I will be back in about a week."

"A week?"

"The wolves from the east and south territories have named me head alpha. I have to make sure everyone is doing well."

"Don't worry. I understand you have many responsibilities."

"I'll be back in time for the wedding."

She pecked his lips. "I'm going to miss you."

"I will as well."

The door of the study opened and in came her friends along with her sister. Well, at least they didn't murder each other in the garden. By the expression of her friends Eleanor knew that they had crossed paths with Isaac.

Eleanor introduced Kathleen to Walter. Of course, he already knew her brother.

"So, how is the Queen taking the news that you're marrying my sister?"

"I don't care what she thinks."

"You should."

"Anthony, please behave," Eleanor said as she messaged her temple.

"Eleanor, the queen has the power to make everyone hate you...you have no idea what she can do to you. Just with the lift of a finger...she can destroy not only your life, but those who you care for as well."