Penance

We got "escorted" back to the throne room. More like herded or dragged, because tridents pointed at you makes wherever you're going not exactly optional.

The Queen was back on her throne, somehow looking more pissed than before, and this time the throne room was crowded with the Hippocamp royal court, complete with Lady Piama standing off to the side. We weren't put in chains or shackles, so there was that. Zimmon looked pissed as hell, repeatedly snapping to his men (fish? Horse-fish? Guards? Allies? Buddies?) that he was fine, so they could knock it off.

Confusion reigned for a bit as everyone tried to sort everything out and someone whispered in the Queen's ear.

Then there was more confusion and attention turned to the doorway.

Korr!

"Korr!" I gasped. I ran over to him. "Korr, what are you doing? How—"

His hands clasped over my hips. He was drawn and pale (even for Korr), but it was Korr, and he was here. Even if he was dressed in little more than blue silk that didn't even cover his rump and he was scandalizing all the hippocamp and the Queen was staring at him like he wasn't even real. His wound was still in his breast, red and angry, and not entirely scabbed over or healed, and angry purple-red bruising stained that side of his body.

"You look beautiful, my love," he said softly, admiring me from head to toe. He tugged me against him with

"What are you doing here?" I savored how wonderful it was to feel his body against mine again, even if he was once again cold. Not as cold as I recalled, but cold and frosty and I shivered happily.

He kissed me gently. His lips were shiver-inducing cold, and he ducked his tongue between my lips.

"You should be resting," I told him softly, running my fingers through the hair at his temple. He clearly wasn't totally well. He held me on his good side, his other side stiff and tender and that arm too painful to move. How the hell had he dragged himself here?

More to the point: how had even found his way here? He'd been locked down in the dungeon and hadn't gotten a tour of the palace but found his way here. Amazing.

"I have to clean up the results of my brother's proclivities again." He sighed and clucked his tongue. "What did he do this time? Or I should say, what led to whatever he did this time? I can guess what he did."

"Ormiss' cousin broke into our apartments and started a fight. Ethat... grabbed him and flew him to the top of the castle and..."

"Oh dear, did he drop his prey? Or eat it?" Korr shot Ethat a look. "Did it require a mop and bucket? Or worse, a putty knife and scrub brush?"

Ethat scowled.

Assund smacked him on the back of the head.

Ethat obediently hung his head, but his shoulders said I'm not sorry.

Korr looked at back to me. "Who was it?"

"A Hippocamp Prince," I said.

Korr dragged his hand over his face. "He ate a Prince. Dear holy gods, brother."

"No, no, he didn't eat him," I said quickly. "He's barely even hurt. I mean, it's really just Zimmon's pride that got hurt."

"Oh, so the prince is still alive."

"Yes."

Korr breathed out in relief. "Well, that makes this infinitely easier. So where are we exactly? The last thing I clearly remember is being adrift in the ocean. Everything else is very much a blur."