On Stealing Marcus

Itek had procured a large assortment of candies, treats, and other delicacies that he had arranged on the dining room table to take inventory.

He smiled at me as Ormiss and I entered, clothed once again, and he told Ormiss, "So. Roses."

"Of course she has roses in her twilight garden," Ormiss said with dignity. "And she will have roses here. When the season is right to plant them."

Itek just chuckled and held out his hand to me. Ormiss, with a hint of reluctance, released me so I could drift over to my gryphon mate. Itek brushed a kiss along my hair, his golden eyes dancing with feline mischief, and indicated a small box of treats. "Since you enjoyed your candied rose, I found you other flower sweets."

"You didn't have to."

"Of course I did not have to. But I love you, and enjoy making you happy."

"I am happy."

Ormiss sighed as he passed behind Itek towards the table to survey the array of sweets. "I know. She told me the same thing. Are gryphons devoted mates like dragons and hippocamp?"

"Are you asking if we're neurotic like dragons and hippocamp?"

"If you want to use that word." Ormiss seemed to be taking serious inventory of the sweets.

"No."

"Oh, so you're the normal one," I told Itek.

Itek chuckled and gave me an affectionate swat on the rump. "Very few gryphons, even when there is a trinket in play, are sexually faithful. When you meet my family, you might be... surprised... at some of the arrangements. Both of my parents have their own paramours. I am odd for a gryphon in that I am inclined to want only one partner."

"But your parents want things that way," I said.

"Of course. They have what humans would call 'an arrangement.' But never gets a name in gryphon roosts because everyone has an arrangement. An arrangement would be a pair agreeing to not have fun elsewhere." Itek's golden eyes seemed to glow. "Unicorns almost never mated gryphons. That's why you have never heard of unicorn/gryphon hybrids. Simply never happened. No unicorn wanted anything to do with a gryphon, and the gods never paired unicorns with--"

"Sluts?" Ormiss asked.

Itek flipped Ormiss the finger.

"We aren't going to need an... arrangement... are we?" I asked Itek warily.

Itek grinned, and Ormiss left his study of sweets to slink behind Itek. Ormiss leaned over Itek's shoulder. "Intriguing. She never wants anything at all, usually so gentle, and I heard a threat in her voice."

Itek pushed Ormiss away with a hand to Ormiss' face while smiling at me. "No, my love, we do not. Most gryphons don't go to the Churn at all, and I always knew I only wanted one partner to dote upon. It's why I went to the Churn."

"And you still chose to go to the Churn?" The Churn offered the perfect partner, and if I was seeking perfection, I didn't share. I was fine with sharing within the household, but if Itek had an itch to go further afield...

"Of course. Because I wanted one partner, and I knew the only way I'd find that was to go to the Churn. Which is also why I was chosen to become the Ambassador. Gryphons almost never go to the Churn, and when they do, they usually only mate other gryphons or pantere because of their preferences. I suppose if we traveled more, Ravens as well. But dragons, hippocamp, and wolves? They want loyalty in all its forms. The average gryphon can't provide that." Itek's fingers kneaded a gentle, soothing pressure over my spine. "Prepare for the dragons to be bewildered or worse by this arrangement. A unicorn with five consorts? Dragons are very devoted mates. I think there are going to be worries that Korr and Ethat are... defective."