Pearl Hunting

"Interesting," Korr said.

That's all he had to say, interesting?

Although in the grand scheme of things, this wasn't nearly as important as, you know, the potential war about to break out right here in Haven because of me so... Guess he was right.

Itek pushed off the ouch. "I think, in order of priority, looking into the history of the abandoned town in the south where we were attacked is most important."

Korr rolled his eyes up towards Itek. "Oh?"

"I don't exactly want to march into the Demon Order and show them the barbs we pulled out of your side. The only reason we saw them after all this time was because of Theia's blood. We are hunting the secrets, and secrets are very dangerous prey. Perhaps Asund's brother might know something. Or something about the fate of Theia's home enclave. At some point in the past, that enclave was inhabited. It cannot have been chosen at random for her dream."

"No?" I asked in a small voice. "Being remote wouldn't have been enough?"

"Remote would be enough," Itek said. "But any small detail might give us a clue as to how, or who, put you there. There's no doubt now you were hidden there."

Ormiss glared at them. "Perhaps the most urgent thing we do is inform Haven that she is our mate? I have held off with the formal, public announcement because we agreed to wait for Soir's move, but Soir has not made a move save to stay up in his roost. The town simmers with questions that I am more than willing to answer. And I would prefer to answer before the messenger from Asund's brother arrives."

"I thought we did inform Haven," I said, "When we told the Lord-Wolf when he brought a mob to the door?"

"Anyone who wasn't there that night or didn't hear--which would be most of Haven--doesn't know and rumors are swirling," Ormiss said matter-of-factly. "Us no longer concealing is is not the same as us doing what is customary and required. We must affirm you are our mate, and not act like it is something shameful we just say out of the corner of our mouths when pressed."

Korr sighed and leaned his head back so he stared at the ornate ceiling. "Yes, yes, I was just hoping to buy some more time. Your family and people are already aware and have been informed, even though the ceremony was...unconventional. If I'm understanding Hippocamp traditions correctly."

Ormiss bristled and lightening crackled over his neck and braids.

"What should you have done?" I asked Ormiss.

"Presented you more formally, seven tides' worth of celebrations, permitted your twilight garden and the gifts to be seen and your reaction measured, everything befitting my mate," he said, clearly aggravated. "So that the Hippocamp could see and judge for themselves that I prepared properly for your arrival, anticipated your wants and desires properly, that I--"

"That he loves you enough, basically," Itek interrupted with a snort.

"Instead there was your aunt glaring at us and Ethat trying to eat your cousin," I said. Seven "tides" worth of parties sounded dreadful. And so did everyone going through my quarters to look at the sparklies and my private garden. Gross.

"You smoothed it over, I presume," Korr told Ormiss.

"Yes, yes, of course. With a mixture of now is not the time, her other consorts are in the dungeon, and so forth. The Hippocamp will have their expectations the next time we're below, especially if my aunt is less angry or more angry."

"Wait, what do you mean more angry?" I asked.

"Less angry, she'll welcome us with festivities. More angry, she will torture us with ceremony."