Chapter Ten: Sokka's Feelings

SOKKA POV

The wind rushing over his face was riveting. He gripped Zuko's robes, leaning as far back as he could without wobbling. Zuko's loose hair was flying behind him, tickling Sokka's face and forcing him to keep his mouth clamped shut, but he didn't care. Sokka hadn't felt this alive in years. Not since her. 

Sokka had no idea where they were going, but he didn't care. Zuko had simply helped Sokka onto Druk and slid in front of him without mentioning their destination. Sokka didn't want to push him and, to be honest, was just happy to be spending time with him. It had been so long since they had been alone. Sokka was worried that Zuko wouldn't want to be around him anymore. 

Sokka knew Zuko felt guilty. He hated remembering that day. He had done it too much back home. Still, sitting here, with his arms wrapped around Zuko's waist and his hands pushed against his strong stomach, his felt his mind being dragged back to that horrible day. He remembered pushing his face deep into Zuko's shoulder, gripping his robes tightly. They were torn. He remembered the smell of smoke, blood and sweat. His hands were turning red. He remembered Zuko shaking, silently then screaming and crying. His hair was cut roughly. He remembered his own tears, streaming from his eyes into is mouth. He couldn't breath. He remembered the dirt underneath him and the fans, clutched in Zuko's hands. Hers.  He remembered other things too, but he tried not to. 

When Zuko had told Sokka he would protect him earlier, though Sokka knew it was a joke, he couldn't help feel slightly remorseful. He knew Zuko felt guilty. He knew Zuko would do anything to protect him. Anything

He was shook out of his mind by Zuko, who was saying his name.

"Sokka, I think I've got it!" Sokka nodded, hardly able to hear him over the wind. Sokka looked below him to the village below. There were about 20 large buildings, surrounded by green fields and trees, a large lake with a small wooden bridge and Sokka could see plenty of smaller buildings further away from the center of the village. Where were they? Zuko began to direct Druk towards the ground and Sokka spotted the local children running and screaming, whilst pointing at the sky. 

Druk landed lightly, curling his tail around himself. Zuko slid off the saddle and offered Sokka his hand. He took it and jumped to the ground. He looked around at the young children hurtling towards them and felt very out of place in his blue water tribe attire. If Zuko felt the same, he wasn't letting on. Instead, he knelt down and spoke to the children around him, ruffling hair and laughing at jokes. Even picking one young boy up to quickly pop him on the dragon's saddle. Sokka felt a twang in his chest. Zuko. Wow. What on Earth was happening to him?

A young man ran over, clearly slightly worried about the large, red dragon sitting, surrounded by young children. He wore a brown trousers and white shirt, with a brown headband, collar and strip for his buttons. 

"Is everyone alright? Sir I'll have to ask t-" he cut his sentence  short when Zuko turned and his hair fell back, revealing his face. "Lord Zuko." The man backed up, shook his head and bowed. More adults were beginning to make there way over to Druk, apparently drawn in by the reaction of the first man. Zuko smiled at the first man and bowed himself. 

"Please, there is no need for formalities. I hope you can help me find someone?" Sokka frowned. They were looking for someone? The young man glanced around the village population.

"Of course?" 

"I visited this village during the war and was shown some incredible kindness by someone. A young woman by the name of Song? She lived just outside the village and worked as a healer?" 

The man blinked and turned around. A young woman, about Sokka's age stepped out of the crowd. She had long dark hair and eyes, she wore a white and brown hanbok and was carrying a wicker basket filled with fruit, vegetables and two ceramic jars. She was cute. How did Zuko know her? During the war? What was happening? Was he in love with her? Why did Sokka suddenly feel so tense in his chest?