Chapter Six: The Shadow Bandits

SOKKA POV

One everyone had gathered themselves together and Aang had calmed down, we started to devise a plan.

"So, whoever that as likely ran back to tell the other bandits that we're here right?" Zuko pointed out. He'd managed to get most of the dirt off his robes from when Sokka had pushed him over. Toph shrugged.

"Probably. So we're going to be facing a few angry bandits? So what? It'll be four on four plus Sokka." Sokka scowled. He hated when she did that.

"Hey!" 

Toph ignored him. Katara had her arms  wrapped around Aang, stroking his back. Oogies.

"So we've gotta be ready for a fight. Toph do you know where she went?" Top crossed her arms.

"No. She's like Twinkletoes here with her light steps. My best guess is that she flew or something." Aang shook his head. He was obviously still amazed by the existence of other air benders. Sokka decided to take charge.

"So, we can make the assumption that they have a camp somewhere in these woods. Somewhere safe and with a good vantage point so they could see people around. Bonus points if that point has an already existing structure. Most obvious point to check out first is the Eastern Air Temple itself. We'll be stronger if we travel as a team. We stick together. We always have. Move out team!" Zuko smiled and Toph looked slightly surprised. That'll teach her  he thought. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When they finally entered the clearing of the woods, Sokka was amazed by the sheer size of the Temple in front of him. It was much bigger than the Southern Temple and only lightly smaller than the Western. The were three large, white towers surrounded by smaller, also white, buildings, each on their own massive, sheer sided mountains only connected by bridges, high in the sky. It amazed him how tall the cliffs were. How did the Fire Nation scale these? Sokka remembered their terrifying machines and the ash that followed them wherever they went. He couldn't imagine the fear the people who lived here must have felt - no army, no protection, no idea what was coming. All the nations were friendly before the war. The Air Nomads likely weren't expecting a thing. 

The Sokka noticed the smoke rising from the middle temple. He almost panicked thinking the Fire Nation was attacking again but then he realized that the Fire Lord was literally standing right beside him. Then Sokka realized something else; that meant someone else was here! He pointed this out to the others.

"That must be them!" yelled Aang. Toph punched him to make him shut up. Zuko stared up the sheer cliff. 

"How do we get up? We can't all air bend." Toph gave a hearty laugh.

"You, once again, have underestimated me and Twinkletoes." She and Aang shared a nod, bent their knees and pushed both hands up to their shoulders. The earth underneath their feet began to crack. They both pushed their back hand into the air and ripped the earth from its place. As the group traveled up the side of the mountain, Sokka couldn't help marveling at the power Earth Benders possessed. They could move mountains, scale cliffs, even bend metal. 

They reached the top of the sheer cliff and quickly hoped off on to the secure land, letting Toph and Aang drop the rock again. Zuko reached back and gripped the handle of the duel swords, pulling them apart in the air. Aang readied his staff and Katara undid the cap off her water pouch. Sokka ran his boomerang between his hands. Toph cracked her knuckles.

"I really wish you'd stop doing that," groaned Zuko. Toph grinned. 

They moved quickly and quietly towards the source of the smoke. Katara moved in front and, whilst signaling to wait with her left hand, pushed back a curtain of vines and weeds. A courtyard lay ahead of them, once grand columns were covered in dirt and plants. Old Air paintings and carvings were caked in dirt and pealing paint.