Chapter Nineteen: In With The New

ZUKO POV

12 months later

Zuko moved between the tables that lined the hall. Each plate must be perfectly straight, each glass brighter than the gold atop his head and each napkin folded with more precision than Mai's throwing knives. 

Who knew weddings could bring so much stress. The ceremony hadn't even started and he was beyond description of the word panicked. It had been so long since the palace held a ceremony like this - it had to be perfect. 

He bushed the last microscopic piece of dust off the head table and left the room, afraid the soldiers positioned there would think he was insane. He moved through the corridors, the robe designed to protect his ceremonial undergarments blowing behind him, brushing against the floors. He stood in front of the door and knocked, brushing his hair out of his face slightly as he did. The reply came from inside and he pushed the door open, closing his eyes as he did so. 

"Oh for spirits sake Zuko, look, that's just superstition! It doesn't even apply to you!" 

So he opened his eyes and immediately regretted it. They filled with tears and he had to turn away to stop them from falling down his face. Hands rested lightly on his shoulders, turning him around. They wiped the tears from his face, moving him to sit on a stool opposite them. 

"I take it I look alright?" asked Mai, spinning slightly as she spoke. He opened his mouth to reply, choked on his words, and promptly shut it again as she laughed. "Oh pull yourself together! You're supposed to be the all powerful Fire Lord!" Zuko took a big breath, wafting his face slightly and looked her up and down. 

Her wedding kimono was a deep red and black, allowing the gold threads and accents to practically glow. The fabric was covered in hundreds of shimmering flower patterns and her waist wrap had the flame emblem placed in the very middle. Her hair up, her typical bangs falling to frame her face whilst the rest sat in a set of complicated buns and braids, a gold head piece running through and over it. Red and white flowers had been weaved into her hair and everything complimented the sharp features of her face. 

"You look so beautiful," was all he managed. 

"Beautiful enough to make you regret not marrying me?" she laughed, leaning towards the mirror behind him to adjust her bangs slightly. Zuko laughed, moving his hands to her waist to pull her towards him. 

"Almost," he whispered, staring up at her face. She gave him a dubious look, rolling her eyes and ruining the caring mood he'd been trying to create. 

"Enough of that. You're getting all mushy and you're not even ready! I'm not having you walk me down the isle in your dressing gown! I know you want this to be perfect, but trust me it will be! I'm marrying the love of my life, it could be in that crappy jail cell we had to share after we saved you and it would be perfect." She smacked the back of his head lightly, pushing him off the chair. 

"Maybe the memories would have been a nice touch to add to the ceremony?"

"Go!" she laughed, pushing him out of the room so she could finish getting ready. He smiled, moving further along the corridor to his own dressing room, mentally checking off all the different things he had meant to do that day. He lifted his robes off the hanger in the room, muttering to himself. 

Menu and kitchen organised with vegetarian options? Arms through the sleeves. Check.
Kiyi and Tom-Tom trained as to how to walk down the isle? Robe tied securely. Check.
Azula ready to carry and offer the rings? Under shoulder padding over the head. Check.
Security detail secured? Over shoulder guard in place. Check.
Iroh ready to officiate? Name places for the ceremony and the dinner? The hall ready for the dance afterwards?  Royal painter ready to catch the first dance and vows? Gifts bought? Speech prepared? Backup plan in case of emergency? Cake made and decorated? Collar straight. Check.