Chapter Twenty: Just Like Air

SOKKA POV

16 YEARS LATER

Sokka surveyed the papers spread out in front of him, rubbing the bridge of his nose as the words began to blend together on the cream background. He lent back and gazed out of the small window to his right. 

The water spread out for miles, the vast blue only broken by the glistening ice bergs that reached into the sky whenever they dared break the surface. Sokka could practically smell the salt coming off of the water, reminiscent of his youth spent travelling on Appa's back whilst on the run from one Fire Nation noble or another. Simpler times.

There was a crash and a yell in the corridor outside, followed by a childish laugh and the yell of a concerned guard. Sokka braced himself expectantly as the door to his cabin bust open and a flurry of hair, winter robes and giggles flew through the door and latched onto his chair. He smiled and the bundle of energy climbed up onto his lap. A few of the papers fell to the floor but he couldn't bring himself to care. 

"My humblest apologies my Lord. I turned around for one moment and..." the guard trailed off, attempting to catch his breath in the door frame. Sokka waved his off. He stood, lifting the young girl up onto his shoulders, grunting slighting. He wouldn't be able to do this for much longer.

The thought made him unexpectedly sad. The thought that one day he would no longer be able to carry her through any problem life faced her with scared him. One day he would be gone. One day that all powerful title would fall to her - the crown on her head. The chances were, when that happened, he wouldn't have the strength to carry her through it on his shoulders. He wouldn't be able to share the burden. He had long prayed that day would never come.

So it wouldn't. He decided then and there that he would carry Izumi till the end of her days. Share her burden, lend his strength. He would support her. Lift her up, high above the clouds, much higher than his shoulders, and show her the world. 

He smiled at the guard. 

"It's not a problem. I needed a break anyway. I can't expect her to stay away whenever I need her to. Especially when the view from a fathers shoulders is the best in the world." The officer looked slightly confused. Sokka began to worry he'd overstepped and the man had never known his father. Before he could apologise, Izumi had his head in her hands and was pushing him forwards, babbling something about dragon clouds. Sokka gripped her ankles and moved though the corridors of the ship, ducking slightly to keep her from hitting her head off the metal beams.  

He made his way up the stairs and onto the deck of the ship. The cold air hit his face and brought back that familiar feeling of home. Izumi shivered on his shoulders and pulled her robes around her. Sokka couldn't believe how like her father she was in that respect. Maybe he should be bringing her home with him more often?

She wriggled her legs out of his grip, alerting him to the man standing at the bow of the ship. His long, dark was hair tied up in a traditional Fire Nation top not, adorned with the golden crown of the Fire Lord and glided on the wind behind him. He was also wrapped in a thick, deep red robe to protect him from the dropping temperatures, despite his fire breath, and his gloved hands rested on the railing of the ship. 

"Hey stranger," called Sokka, moving Izumi to his chest. Zuko turned, loose hairs blowing across his beautiful face like paint on a canvas. His entire body seemed to relax at the sight before him. He opened his arms, beckoning his family towards him. Sokka was all too happy to comply. He pulled Zuko into the other side of his chest, curving his free arm around his waist. Zuko's head fit comfortably under his chin, carefully avoiding the crown.