Chapter Thirty

Shigure and the kids were preparing for Hatori and Ayame's arrival. They planned to discuss what the next steps would be after Amai's return. They all silently prayed that she would return the next day and so they needed to know how they were going to deal with Akito. With that, they decided it would be a good opportunity for a nice dinner together. After all, it was something to celebrate. If all went to plan...

It was half past seven in the evening and due to the season, it had already gotten dark out. Kyo helped Tohru prepare dinner whilst Yuki set the table. Shigure soon came down from his room and smiled at them.

"It truly is lovely to see you boys working together without any arguments," he commented. "In Amai's absence, Tohru truly has kept you under supervision."
Kyo growled in annoyance as he placed a dish on the table. "Well, if it makes Amai happy, I'll force myself to get on with...Yuki," he strained, trying his best not to call him 'rat boy'.
"Wow. I can't remember the last time you said my name," Yuki responded, also trying his hardest to remain civil.
"They should be arriving soon," Shigure informed them. "Is everything almost ready?"
Tohru came from the kitchen with another dish. "Yep! Almost done."
"Care to help?" Kyo asked angrily.
"Nope!" Shigure chimed.

Then there was a knock at the door.

"That must be them," he said. "I'll get the door."

He hummed happily as he made his way to the front door. For once he actually decided to lock it since Hatori continuously scolded him for it. The knock came again but a lot more frantically.

"Calm down. That's definitely you, Ayame," he said as he opened the door. "You-"

His eyes widened and his heart jumped up to his throat. Standing in front of him was Amai. She had tears in her eyes as she stood there wearing only a t-shirt and shorts with sandals on her feet. Upon seeing him, her tears fell down her cheeks as she smiled before holding up the letter.

"I remember..." she whimpered, trying her best not to cry.

Shigure's own eyes filled with tears before they rolled down his cheeks. Stepping out of the house, he held her face and kissed her. She instantly closed her eyes and deepened the kiss, her hands clutching onto his kimono.

Although they hadn't been separated for long, it felt as though they had been away from each other for years. For a moment, the world seemed to crash down all around them but now everything was flourishing even more beautifully.

After a few moments, they parted from the kiss. He kept hold of her face and gazed into her eyes. She continued to cry quietly, looking up into his eyes as he brushed his fingers through her hair.

"I'm so sorry..." she whispered.
"Shhh..." he hushed her, unable to form actual words.

Letting go of her face, he stepped forward and wrapped his arms around her, holding her in his embrace. They were both filled with a sense of warmth and completion. It was only for a moment before there was a loud poof.

Inside, the others heard the poof and all rushed to the front of the house. There they found none other than Amai on her knees, hugging Shigure in his dog form. They were all in compete shock, none of them knowing how to react. Overwhelmed, they were filled with joy yet they didn't know what to do.

Soon, Amai parted from the hug and looked at Shigure's canine-like face. She gently stoked the side of his face before noticing the kids standing at the door, all of them staring at her.

She sniffed and wiped away her tears. "Hey. Sorry for making you wait."

Kyo was the first one to move. He walked out of the house towards her and got down to his knees before hugging her tightly.