Chapter Twenty Six

Amai stayed sitting in her car outside the Sohma estate. It had been 20 minutes since she had arrived there but she was too nervous to leave the car. She hadn't even called Hatori to let him know that she had arrived. Part of her was too frightened to face Akito. She didn't know that Amai's memories had returned and that she had been living with Shigure again. According to Hatori and Ayame, she was still under the impression that she has won and that Shigure was hers. Since Amai's return, Shigure hadn't been visiting her as much but she still believed that Amai was truly gone.

However, Amai wanted the curse to be broken. Her will was so much stronger than her fear of Akito. She didn't want to break the curse just for Shigure but for all of them. For her family. Even for those cursed she had never even met, and she couldn't meet them because Shigure didn't want her to get hurt in case Akito found out.

Only Hatori and Ayame knew of her plan. They weren't happy with it and tried to convince her not to go ahead with it but she knew that if she didn't take the risk, she would never know if it would work. And if it didn't work, then she would still return to Shigure. Either way it was a win-win situation so they eventually agreed. They just knew that either way, Shigure was going to be very, very, very upset.

She suddenly jumped when her phone began to ring. She looked down at her lap and saw Hatori's name flash across the screen. Picking up the phone, she answered it.

"Hello?"
"Hello. Where are you? I've been waiting for you to tell me you've arrived."
"Oh, sorry... I... I'm outside."
He could hear the hesitancy in her voice. "Amai, you know you don't have to do this. You can turn ba-"
"No, I'm going to do this," she said with a bit more strength in her tone. "I'm coming in. Meet me at the gate."
He sighed. "Very well."

She hung up and took a deep breath. It was now or never. She left everything else in the car, only taking her phone with her, before stepping out and locking it. By the time she made it to the main entrance, a door within the gate opened and she was greeted by Ayame.

He didn't greet her like his usual flamboyant self, however, and had quite a solemn atmosphere around him, which was incredibly rare to witness. He did still smile for her sake knowing how she would be feeling nervous and a friendly face is what she needed. Amai smiled in return as they shared their greeting before making their way towards Hatori's place.

Ayame sighed. "You already know that I don't agree with your plan, however, I admit you truly are the strongest and bravest out of any one of us. None of us have the courage to do what you're doing. For that I thank you, Amai."
She smiled lightly with a shake of her head. "I wouldn't say I'm brave. Honestly, I'm so scared. What if I fail? What if all this is for nothing? And Shigure? I haven't told him anything... He's going to be so mad." She looked down at the ground as they walked. "This is the only way I see that has a chance of working. I have to at least try. If it works, you can thank me then and give me a hug."
He gave her a smile. "It's a deal."

They arrived to Hatori's place and found him waiting at the entrance. After they entered, Hatori closed the door and turned to Amai as Ayame stood behind her.

"You know you don't have to do this," he said seriously. "You haven't even met half the zodiac that you're sacrificing yourself for."
"They're still family. They're Shigure's family so that also makes them mine." She smiled. "I'll meet them when the curse is broken," she spoke optimistically.

Hatori was still hesitant. Both he and Ayame knew that Shigure was going to kill them first for hiding it from him but they wanted to support Amai as her brothers.

She placed her phone on Hatori's desk. "Shigure will call at midday because I won't have called him when I arrive at Tokyo. I'll leave it to you guys what to tell him."
"I don't know what's worse. Speaking to Akito or facing Shigure," Ayame sighed dramatically.
Amai laughed. "I'd rather take Akito." She breathed out deeply. "I'm ready."