Chapter 28

Renesmee's P.O.V

Upon reaching the forest, I glanced at Chloe, who appeared frightened.

I patted her back and said, "It's okay. This is the way to my house."

"Oh," Chloe said.

I parked at my house. Chloe looked surprised and asked, "You live here?"

"Yeah, kind of. My family lives here; my parents, my child, and I live close to here," I responded.

I grabbed my bag, and she got out, too. I locked the doors, headed inside, and ran upstairs with Chloe behind me. As Chloe followed behind me, I could smell her nervousness as we reached the top.

"I'm home!" I yelled.

I set my stuff down in the kitchen as Chloe did the same. Upon hearing footsteps, we both turned. There stood Jacob, smiling at me.

"Hey," I said.

"Hi," Jacob said.

"So I see you went to get Sophia without telling me."

"Yeah, it would be easier for you now since I don't go to school, and I'm her stepfather."

I nodded and said, "Thanks."

Jacob looked at Chloe with a curious expression.

"That's my new friend from school," I exclaimed.

"Hey, I'm Jacob," he introduced himself.

"I'm Chloe," Chloe said.

They shook hands.

"I'm off to see Sophia," I announced.

"She's upstairs, asleep," Jacob whispered.

"Thanks."

"Well, nice to meet you," Chloe greeted.

"You too," Jacob said.

I exited the kitchen and proceeded to the stairs.

Chloe asked, "You never mentioned he was attractive."

"You never asked," I responded.

Chloe nodded and asked, "He's the guy you talked about at school?"

"Yeah," I responded.

"He looks young for his age."

"I know, but I'll explain it to you if he lets me."

Chloe nodded. We headed down the hall to the bedroom Sophia was in. I walked into the bedroom and saw her sleeping. I walked to the side of the bed and sat in the adjacent chair. Chloe stood there, watching. I moved a hair thread out of her face and kissed her forehead. She moved a little, and her beautiful brown eyes opened. Smiling, she turned to face me.

"Mommy," Sophia said.

"Yes, I'm here," I reassured.

Sophia got up from under the covers and jumped into my arms. I hugged her as she wrapped her arms around my neck. I made circles on her back with my hand as she laid her head on my chest. Then I sat on the bed with her still in my arms.

Chloe sat beside me and asked, "So, she's your child?"

"Yeah," I responded.

"How?"

"It's a long story."

"Tell me."

"Well, it wasn't with Jacob because it was before we dated."

"Who was it?"

"It was this terrible guy. I thought he was a sweet guy who liked me, but he played me."