Chapter 8

Jacob's P.O.V

God, I was so close to kissing her. If only her parents wouldn't have those stupid rules. As I ran through the woods, I heard my pack howling from afar. I ran toward them and stood in front of them as an alpha would do.

"What's happening? You interrupted my time with someone important," I remarked.

"And let me guess, Renesmee," Quil said.

"Yes. What frustrates me is that I was about to kiss Nessie, but her parents' deal and rules ruined the moment."

"What are their rules?"

"Renesmee can't date me until she's old enough, yet she can date other people."

"Wow, that seems stupid."

I rolled my eyes. "Tell me about it. Anyway, what's so important?" I asked, "Is it the leeches?"

"Yes, we saw the leeches, and they almost crossed our land, so we pushed them into the water," Embry responded.

"What was their reason for crossing our land?"

Quil responded, "They didn't know about the treaty, so they didn't mean to cross our land."

I nodded and inquired about the whereabouts of the bloodsuckers.

"They were on Cullen's property, but now I don't know their whereabouts. We scared them away." Quil responded.

"Well, we have got to find them, because if we don't, I won't be able to protect Renesmee."

"Jacob, do you think they will hurt Renesmee? They want to meet her and nothing else."

"Yes, I don't trust those leeches, and I won't until I find out what they want."

"We can look for them later. I doubt they'll show up tonight," Embry suggested.

"Okay, time to go," I announced.

We transformed into wolves with a burst of energy. Then, we started our journey across the border. We ran through the thick woods. Our paws touched the ground. We smelled something familiar. I growled. "They're here."

We transformed into human form, grabbed our pants, went behind a bush, and slipped those on.

"We need to hide and eavesdrop on their conversation," I whispered.

We gathered behind a bush and listened.

"We should head back to Italy, Mom. We won't find Cullen's house," the boy suggested.

"Don't worry, son. We'll find them," the mother reassured.

"No, we won't, and I won't get to meet her and ask her out."

My wolf wanted to take control and rip their heads off. I said, "I won't let them get close to her. I won't allow it."

"Then, get with Renesmee before he does," Embry whispered.

"I would love to, but we can't be together."

"Oh, right, that sucks! Good luck with keeping him away from Renesmee, then."

I rolled my eyes and said, "Thanks, you're so helpful."

Embry patted my back, saying, "You're welcome, bro."

I shook my head, then glanced back at the family.

"Should we stay or move?" Embry inquired.

I stayed quiet, then nodded and went towards the family. I yelled, "Hey!"

They both turned toward us.

"What's that awful smell?" the mother asked, wrinkling her nose.

Embry and Quil walked out from behind and stood next to me.