Chapter 22

Lilypetal's POV

I wrinkled my nose, trying to chew as quickly as I could after licking up the chamomile Jayfeather had laid at my paws. As much as I needed the strengthening herbs after such a difficult kitting, dealing with their bitter taste was becoming awfully tedious.

I flashed Thornclaw an amused look as he began to snicker next to me. "I think that's my favorite expression I've ever seen on your face," my mate purred.

I finally swallowed, shaking my head quickly to cope with remains of the vile flavor. "Well, take it in then! I hopefully won't have to be taking these for much longer," I meowed cheerfully as I took a small stretch, the action being incredibly painful, but relieving at the same time. I had grown so stiff from so much lack of movement, but it hurt to move still, so I couldn't move that much.

I sighed as my gaze then fell on where Goldenshine was playing mossball with Wrenkit, Lightningkit and Emberkit. And I want more than anything to give these three a badger ride... or chase them around the camp... I thought longingly. Oh, StarClan, give me strength! Physical strength!

I then felt a muzzle press itself on my cheek. I closed my eyes, a purr rumbling in my throat as I let myself be comforted by Thornclaw's touch. As he then pulled away, I met his pale blue gaze that was filled with so much love and warmth.

I returned it, my heart lifting from my frets for just a moment. I'm already getting all of the mental strength I could possibly have. I'm so thankful.

I nuzzled my head into my mate's neck, then pulling away so that I could give gratitude to the gray tabby tom who had delivered me my putrid strengthening herbs.

"Thank you, Jayfeather," I meowed to the medicine cat, who had been quietly scoffing as he watched the kits, to my amusement. I then lightly touched the tip of my tail to the younger tom's shoulder as he turned to face me. "Really, thank you so much."

"Sure," the tom responded, giving me a curt nod and then turning to leave the den. "I'll be back with some borage."

"Thank you!" I called out, then nodding to Goldenshine. Before Jayfeather had come into the nursery with the chamomile, Thornclaw and I had been eager to hear all about her first day as a mentor. "Anyway, keep going, Goldenshine. How did Cherrypaw handle the territory tour?"

My daughter didn't answer immediately, as she seemed to be staring intently at absolutely nothing, clearly deep in her own thoughts.

I exchanged a half-amused, half-concerned glance with Thornclaw before turning back to her. "Goldenshine?"

After a few heartbeats, the golden tabby she-cat shook her head quickly, looking genuinely surprised with herself and her zoned-out episode. "Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry," Goldenshine breathed, sounding quite distressed. "What did you say?"

"That's alright, sweetheart," I meowed softly, gazing at my daughter sympathetically. "Are you alright?"

"Yes," Goldenshine meowed surprisingly sharply. "Tell me what you said."

Tell me what's wrong with you, I wanted to meow, but as much as I could prompt Goldenshine to talk about whatever was clearly troubling her, I could already sense that I wouldn't get anything from her. "I asked how Cherrypaw handled the territory tour."

"Hm, well..." Goldenshine began, then trailing off as she batted the mossball with a paw, causing the three kits to excitedly chase after it once again. "Cherrypaw was having the time of her life, to say the least. She was so eager to take in every tree, every bush, every tuft of snow!"

My daughter then snorted as she shook her head slowly. "I almost felt like I was the apprentice from how many questions she asked me!" she mewed. "Once we got back to camp, she was already so desperate to know what we would be doing tomorrow."