Chapter Nineteen

The anticipation the students from all three schools was immense as dinner at the Great Hall began. Cedric insisted that I sit with him, as I would be his "good luck charm."

"And why am I your good luck charm?" I ask skeptically. My Slytherin robes clash with the Hufflepuff table and I'm given a few weird looks, which I ignore. Instead, I focus on the goofy seventh year boy in front of me.

"Well," Cedric says, "You were the first one who I told that I was considering entering my name in the Goblet, so it only serves you right to be here."

I shrug. "Fair enough."

The only Hogwarts students I know who have entered their names are Cedric (obviously), Angelina Johnson, Marcus Flint, and Roger Davies. There couldn't be no more than six Hogwarts names in the Goblet — so my hopes for Cedric are high.

I can't help but meet Draco's eyes from across the room. His eyes are fixated on me and an intense glare is on his face. Once we make eye contact, he quickly looks away and starts to talk with Zabini.

I shake my head and ignore Draco's stupid facial expressions. Why would he care if I sat with the Hufflepuffs? He doesn't even like me to begin with.

"So, this is your first Halloween feast at Hogwarts," Cedric says, changing the subject. "How do you like it?" He asks me flirtatiously.

I eye him skeptically. "It's alright. Hogwarts certainly has a lot of feasts, doesn't it?"

Cedric nods. "There's always some sort of occasion," He says, taking a helping of some type of potato.

"So, if you did happen to win the tournament, what would you use the Galleons for?" I ask him curiously. The winner of the tournament receives a thousand Galleons — Cedric would be rich if he won.

"Gold digging already?" Cedric teases. "First you want my good looks, now my money-"

"Just answer the question!" I giggle, slapping his arm. He makes a tsk tsk noise to me but answers.

"I'd probably buy the newest Firebolt," He says, blushing slightly. "I know it's stupid, but I really want to be a professional Quidditch player," He confesses to me with a genuine smile. I can tell he is truly passionate about Quidditch.

My eyes turn to Viktor Krum, who is seated at the Slytherin table next to Malfoy. "You could always ask Krum if he can get you a chance with the Bulgaria National Team," I tell him.

"Oh no, I could never!" Cedric says.

Along with the rest of the students, the two of us finish our dinners very quickly. After ten minutes, everyone glances over to Dumbledore to see if he's finished eating or not.

Eventually, Dumbledore stands. "Well, the goblet is almost ready to make its decision. I estimate that it requires one more minute. Now, when the champion's names are called, I would ask for them to please come up to the top of the Hall, walk along the staff table, and go through into the next chamber, where they will be receiving their first instructions."

Cedric looks at me and discreetly grabs my hand from under the table, squeezing it.

My eyes flicker from him to our now interlocked hands. Was this a friendly gesture? Does he fancy me? Are Cedric and I friends? Or are we... more?

Before I can continue thinking, the Goblet's flames turn into a dark shade of red. A piece of parchment shoots through the air and directly into Dumbledore's grasp.

"The champion for Durmstrang, will be Viktor Krum," He announces while unfolding the paper and reading it in a strong, clear voice.

The hall erupts with great applause as Krum rises from the Slytherin table and disappears into the next chamber. I can't help but notice how he doesn't seem as excited as the rest of the potential candidates.

A second piece of parchment flew from the goblet into Dumbledore's hand.

"The champion for Beauxbatons, is Fleur Delacour!"

A beautiful girl with long blonde hair and blue eyes stands up from the Ravenclaw table. I instantly recognize her as the veela that Ron was entranced by a few days prior. The rest of the Beauxbatons girls look extremely disappointed— two girls were even crying.

"The Hogwarts champion is next!" I whisper to Cedric, giving his hand a friendly squeeze.

Friendly. Yeah, right...

Just like the previous two, the Goblet turns red and a piece of paper flies into Dumbledore's hand. His words seem to be a blur and before I know it, the Hufflepuff table roars with applause and Cedric releases my hand to stand up and approach Dumbledore.

"He's done it!" Hannah Abbott, a pasty fourth year, says to me excitedly. The two of us smile and continue to be a part of the monstrous applause.

Every single Hufflepuff has jumped to his or her feet, screaming and stamping, as Cedric makes his way, grinning broadly, and heading off toward the chamber behind the teachers' table. Indeed, the applause for Cedric goes on for so long that it takes some time before Dumbledore can make himself heard again.

"Excellent!" Dumbledore calls happily as at last the tumult dies down. "Well, we now have our three champions. I am sure I can count upon all of you, including the remaining students from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang, to give your champions every ounce of support you can muster. By cheering your champion on, you will contribute in a very real —"
But Dumbledore suddenly stops speaking, and it is apparent to everybody what has distracted him.

The fire in the goblet has just turned red again.

Sparks begin flying out of it. A long flame shoots suddenly into the air, and borne upon it is another piece of parchment.

Automatically, it seems, Dumbledore reaches out a long hand and seized the parchment. He holds it out and stares at the name written upon it. There is a long pause, during which Dumbledore stares at the slip in his hands, and everyone in the room stares at Dumbledore. And then Dumbledore clears his throat and reads

"Harry Potter."