15| The headmaster's office

They stepped off the stone staircase at the top, and Professor McGonagall rapped on the door. It opened silently and they entered. Professor McGonagall told Harry and Miley to wait and left them there, alone.

Certainly not like the other teacher's offices. Miley thought as she looked around.

It was far more interesting. Miley wasn't sure why Professor McGonagall had told her to come- would she get expelled for something her brother was accused of? She wanted to cry out that it wasn't fair but no one was there except her and Harry who was too busy looking around to notice her.

She saw Harry walk to the still Sorting Hat and watched him put it on him again.

"Harry?" she asked him confused why he was putting it on again.

"Er, yes," Harry muttered. "Er- sorry to bother you - I wanted to ask-"

It took Miley a few seconds to realize he was talking to Sorting Hat.

Miley watched Harry interact with the Sorting Hat and jumped when Harry angrily took the hat off. Miley was debating whether she should try it on again too but a strange noise made her pause.

Standing on a golden perch behind the door was a decrepit-looking bird that resembled a half-plucked turkey. Miley and Harry stared at it and the bird looked balefully back, making its strange noise again. Miley thought it looked very sick. Its eyes were dark and, even as she watched, a couple more feathers fell out of its tail.

"Is he about to... you know?" Miley said to Harry nodding to the bird.

Harry winced and Miley knew what he was thinking- he didn't want another incident to happen in his presence.

"Look- I know you didn't do any of it," Miley assured him. "What about everyone else?" Harry asked nervously.

"Who cares what they think, the old gits," Miley spat.

They yelled in shock and backed away from the desk. Miley looked desperately around in case there was a glass of water somewhere but couldn't see one; the bird, meanwhile, had become a fireball; it gave one loud cry and the next second there was nothing but a smoldering pile of ash on the floor.

Miley was about to swear but the office door opened and Dumbledore walked in.

"Professor," Harry gasped. "Your bird - I couldn't do anything - he just caught fire-"

Miley was about to defend herself and her brother but stopped when Dumbledore smiled at them. "About time too, he's been looking dreadful for days," he said.

"Of course," Miley said in realization. She felt stupid for not realizing this earlier- but then again being with the twins made her feel stupid all the time. Her heart sank at the thought of Fred not speaking to her.

"He's a phoenix," she said quickly. Dumbledore beamed at her.

"Your sister is correct. Fawkes is a phoenix. Phoenixes burst into flame when it is time for them to die and are reborn from the ashes. Watch him..."

They all watched where Fawkes was.

A tiny, wrinkled, newborn bird poke its head out of the ashes. It was quite as unpretty as the old one.

"They're usually very radiant and beautiful," Miley said to Harry who was looking at baby Fawkes weirdly. Again, Dumbledore beamed at Miley.

"Fascinating creatures, phoenixes. They can carry immensely heavy loads, their tears have healing powers, and they make highly faithful pets." Dumbledore added.