12| The house-elf

"Harry! Madam Pomfrey let me in to visit you," MIley called out to her brother. The feast had just ended and MIley had to sweet talk her way into getting to visit her brother who had been in the hospital wing for a few long hours.

"I'm over here," Harry said and Miley followed the sound of his voice.

"It's going to be a painful night," Miley murmured remembering reading about growing bones and how painful it was overnight.

"Gee, thanks-" he stopped when he saw something behind Miley.

"Miles- watch out!" he yelped and Miley turned around to see a small, ugly- but in a cute way- creature staring at her. He- Miley could tell it was a boy- had huge eyes that were studying her.

"Dobby?" Harry asked.

"Yes, Harry, Potter, sir," the creature squeaked. "Is this sir's sister?"

"Hello- I'm Miley- and yeah," Miley mumbled awkwardly. SHe didn't know how to interact with a house-elf.

"The Potter's came back to school- I warned you, Harry Potter, sir, not to but you did," Dobby said miserably.

"Um- I didn't get a warning," Miley mumbled but face-palmed.

"Harry Potter's life is in more danger," Dobby squeaked. "Oh, sir. Why didn't Harry Potter go back home when he missed the train?"

Miley and Harry looked at Dobby with suspicion.

"How did you know I missed the train?" Harry asked.

The house-elf squeaked and found the nearest thing- a book- and smashed in on top of his head. Harry gave Miley a look and she found it hard to believe the house-elf usually beat himself up.

"Dobby- you'll get caught," Miley said and had to pull the book away from him.

Harry gasped. "It was you," he pointed at Dobby. "You stopped me and Ron from getting on the train,"

Dobby winced a little. "Dobby was so shocked when he heard Harry Potter was back at Hogwarts, he let his master's dinner burn! Such a flogging Dobby never had, sir..."

Harry was still angry. "You almost got me and my friend expelled. When my bones regrow..." Harry threatened.

Miley's heart shattered at Dobby's next words. "Dobby is used to death threats, sir. Dobby gets them five times a day at home."

Miley had to stop herself from hugging the house-elf.

"Harry Potter must go home! Dobby thought the Bludger would do the job," Dobby said blowing his nose on the torn and worn-out looking pillowcase he was wearing.

"You cast a rogue Bludger on my brother!" MIley shrieked. "He could've been killed!"

"No- that was not Dobby's intentions," Dobby said miserably.

"Well, if Dobby doesn't kill me- Lockhart just might," Harry said and they all looked at his bone-free arm.

"I don't suppose you can tell me why you think my brother's life is in danger," MIley said trying to not get too angry at Dobby.

"Ah, if Harry Potter only knew!" Dobby groaned, tears spilling from his eyes. "If he knew what he means to us, to the lowly, the enslaved, we dregs of the magical world! Dobby remembers how it was when He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named was at the height of his powers, sir! We house-elves were treated like vermin, sir! Of course, Dobby is still treated like that, sir," he admitted, drying his face on the pillowcase. "But mostly, sir, life has improved for my kind since you triumphed over He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. Harry Potter survived, and the Dark Lord's power was broken, and it was a new dawn, sir, and Harry Potter shone like a beacon of hope for those of us who thought the Dark days would never end, sit... And now, at Hogwarts, terrible things are to happen, are perhaps happening already, and Dobby cannot let Harry Potter stay here now that history is to repeat itself, now that the Chamber of Secrets is open once more."