Chapter 7

Ivys POV

"You can't be serious" I whined as mom pulled the thermometer from Aspens mouth. 105 degrees F was written in digital print across the device. "Oh honey no way I'm letting you go to school." Mom said, a worried tone lingering in her voice as she made her way over to the medicine cabinet. "Can I stay home to? I can take care of her." I asked, more like begged my mother from across the counter. "Come on Ivy, it's one day, I swear you'll be fine" she said, giving me the mom look.

I rolled my eyes in annoyance. I had absolutely no desire to go to school alone. I turned to my sister, crossing my arms. "It's not my fault I have a shitty immune system" she shrugged, a fuzzy blanket draped over her shoulder. "Language" mom called scoldingly. I huffed. "How am I even gonna get to school mom?" I questioned, raising my eyebrows at her as she was measuring out some aspirin. She stopped and looked over at me, obviously confused. "Ivy you have a car, a very nice one in fact" she said pointing out the kitchen window at the black vehicle in the drive way. "I mean ya, but I don't drive it. That what Aspens for" I replied. She rolled her eyes at me and went back to her task.

"Fine I'll go, but your never gonna hear the end of it" I grumbled grabbing my backpack off the counter and throwing it over my shoulder. "Sweetie don't worry. Everything will be fine and I'll have aspen ready to go for tomorrow" mom said handing Aspen a glass of water along with the Aspirin. Turning to me she wrapped her arm around my shoulders, yanking me in and kissing the side of my face. I grumbled but hugged her back.

"Bye mom, Bye Aspen. Love you" I called, grabbing the keys from the hook by the door as I made my way outside. I took a deep breath before climbing into the drivers seat. Thankfully, I didn't have to adjust anything due to me and Aspen being the same size. I started the engine and pulled extremely slowly out of the driveway. The entire drive I keep a steady speed of about 30, the old roads of Derry Maine making me exceptionally nervous. Lucky for me we didn't live far from the school so the drive was short.

Carefully I parked in the asphalt lot next to the school. Pulling the keys from the ignition I hopped out of the car, tossing my bag over my shoulder. I made my way to the schoolyard, walking through the freshly mowed grass up to the front door. I nearly jumped out of my skin as a girls voice came from behind me.

"Where's your sister" her voice was cheery and high pitched. I turned around to see a blonde girl with an unnecessary amount of red lipstick on. Her outfit was a matching sweater and skirt set which were both a pink so bright some might have called it an assault on the eyes. Her lips were pulled into a tight smile and her eyes looked me up and down as she waited for me to answer. "Uh, she didn't feel good this morning, my mom kept her home" I replied, my voice coming out shaky from nervousness. The girls face morphed into a pout. "That's the worst, hopefully she feels better soon" she nodded, patting me on the shoulder before walking away. I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding and proceeded down the hallway towards my history class.

Taking a seat I pulled out my notebook and the pen that Reggie had let me use the day before. I had planned on giving it back today but having forgotten to put more pens in my bag so I kind of needed it. Mrs. Douglases entered the classroom and began writing the lesson plan on the board as students trickled in. I tapped my fingers against the cold wood of my desk as I waited for the lesson to begin. "Morning" a deep voice said from beside me, pulling me out of my thoughts abruptly. I looked over to see Reggie taking his seat in the desk beside mine.

The taller boy with the dark hairs face scrunched as he sat down next to the empty desk once occupied by Aspen. "Where's the mean one?" He questioned taking a seat. I rolled my eyes. "Sick" I replied shortly, nervous to even speak to the boy in the first place. "The fuck did I even show up for" he huffed in annoyance and leaned back in his desk. Reggie punched him in the shoulder causing the boy to grunt in discomfort. "All right class let us begin"