Chapter 16

Ivy POV

As I lay in my bed, the afternoon light poured in through my open window leaving an orange tinge over everything in the room. Despite the snow outside the light still shown over the land in a beautiful blanket. Quiet sounds escaped Aspen as she snoozed away against her mattress, in the middle of her ritualistic Sunday afternoon nap. I could hear the sound of moms music playing quietly through the record player that she kept in the kitchen, her sweet voice humming along to the toon as she pushed something into the oven. I had to admit Maine was really growing on me. Things just felt peaceful here.

I sat up, making my way quietly out of my shared bedroom and down the stairs. Mom smiled as I came into view, a mixing bowl tucked in her arm as she glanced back at her cook book. "Afternoon beautiful." She said. I smiled back, happy to see her enjoying her time on her favorite day. "Afternoon" I giggled back, taking a seat in a barstool chair, resting my arms against the cool surface of the kitchen tile. "Whatca making?" I questioned, leaning forward to try to get a look in the bowl. "Strawberry cupcakes. Aspens favorite. Maybe it will cheer her up a bit. I know she's having a bit of trouble adjusting" she replied, moving to grab a cupcake tin from the cabinet.

I nodded. "She's just not a big fan of change. And this town isn't something I would expect her to warm up to quickly. It is very different here." I replied, pushing myself up onto the counter so I could sit on the edge, hoping mom wouldn't a hold me for doing so. Mom sighed heavily, pausing what she was doing to lean over. "I know. I miss the old house too. But daddy makes more money here, easier to save for you girls college fund." She smiled, a strange fake smile that made her mouth look tight, beginning to transfer the batter to the baking sheet. I only nodded in response not wanting to upset her in anyway, knowing the move was just as hard for her.

Suddenly I heard the sound of someone knocking on the front door. "I'll get it" I called, hopping down from the counter and jogging through the house to the large wooden front door. Unlocking it I pulled it open to be met with the face of Reggie Huggins. I stood there silent for a moment, a bit taken back as I wasn't expecting him. "Hi" I said with a smile, folding my hands nervously behind my back. "Hey gorgeous" he replied with a smirk. I blushed at his comment, suddenly feeling very shy as I wished my sister was there to tell me what to say.

"I think Aspen may have left this at my house" he said, reaching his hand out with her jacket in it. She had been wearing moms old one for the past few days, convinced that it was gone forever. "Oh thank god. She's been looking everywhere for that" I said excitedly. "Thank you!" I repeated. He nodded happily in reply, leaning his arm against the door frame as he looked down at me. I suddenly realized my rudeness. "Come in! My mom is making cupcakes." I insisted, grabbing gently onto his jacket covered forearm and pulling him through the doors threshold.

"Mom, my friend Reggie is here. He found Aspens jacket." I called into the kitchen as I shoved the door closed behind him, his large frame standing awkwardly in the entryway, staying close to me as I moved to hook the coat on the rack next to the closet. "That's nice sweetheart. She'll be so happy to finally have it back!" She replied, the sound of the oven opening echoing though the house. "Come on" I smiled up at Reggie, grabbing his hand and pulling him into the kitchen along with me.

Mom stepped away from the oven making her way over and looking surprised as she laid eyes on the boy next to me. "Oh hello. I'm Ivys mom, it's so nice to meet you" she beamed, reaching out to shake his larger hand. "Nice to meet you ma'am. I'm Reggie. You have a beautiful home." I was taken back by his politeness. A large difference from the behavior I had seen when he was with his friends. Mom looked at me as if she was impressed before looking back to him. "Why thank you! Aren't you just a delight" she giggled. Reggie smiled in reply.

"I actually came to see if Ivy would want to come with me to the coffee shop downtown. I thought with the snow it could be nice." He said, clearly asking permission for me to accompany him on this... "date". I looked at mom hopefully, begging her with my eyes to say yes. She glanced up at the boy once again, squinting a bit. "I think that would be fine. As long as your back before 11. I know those roads get crazy at night with the temperature drop." I glanced at the clock. It was only 4:30 we had lots of time.

"Yes ma'am of course. I'll get her back safe and sound. Promise"