Chapter 15- Dad

I was working on the ship, alone for once. Gil rarely convinces Harry to leave my side, but that day it worked. I stood on the bow, looking out at the beautiful, sparkling sea for a moment, before jumping down and smiling. The beautiful structure was going to sail as soon as we fixed everything.

"(Y/n)."

I jumped when I heard Celia's voice behind me. I yelped when I turned and saw both my sister and Celia standing there. "Hello. What a pleasant surprise," I said with sarcasm.

Celia sighed. "We need your help."

"With what?" I asked, raising an eyebrow at Mal.

"We need to get the ember," Mal admitted. "Audrey has Mom's scepter, and she's putting everyone to sleep."

"Oh. Was it because of your engagement?" I guessed.

"I don't know." Mal looked at the ocean for a moment. "I just know that Hades likes you more than me."

"Parents aren't supposed to have favorites. I know Dad didn't. That was one thing that was right from his parenting," I reasoned.

"Come on, please?" Mal said, looking at me with a pleading look.

I sighed. "Fine. Only because I need to. He's been wanting to have me home more often."

We walked down a few streets before we arrived at Dad's lair. Celia opened it with her key and we went underground. I noticed that Mal's hair had started to get blue streaks in her hair. Weird.

Mal and I walked into the main room and saw Dad sleeping. We walked off to the side and crept behind Dad. Celia rolled her eyes at the scratching record player and turned it off. I shot her a death glare. That would wake Dad up in an instant.

"What are you doing here?"

He didn't notice us, but Celia.

"I noticed you were low on canned corn," Celia said, pulling out a can she had on her.

I reached for the ember, but stopped my hand. Dad turned around slowly and took off his sunglasses, waving a hello to us. He looked at both of us, examining us. I let out a breath through my nose. This was going to be tough.

"Hi, Dad," we said in unison.

Celia looked at us, shocked, as Dad smiled at me. He looked at Mal. "Quite a show you put on the other day."

"Right back at you," Mal shot at him.

"I was just coming to see you," Dad said, getting out of his chair.

"Really, I wonder why. Is it because I'm going to get married?" Mal asked.

"Aren't both of you getting married?" Dad asked, confused.

"Not now, Dad," I said through gritted teeth.

Mal turned to me before turning back to Dad.

Mal crossed her arms. "You abandoned me when I was a baby."

Dad held up his pointer finger. "No, I left your mother. I took care of (Y/n), didn't I?"

"Not the point, Dad," Mal said, slowly getting angrier.

I stood off to the side and watched them bicker while singing.

"You really want to make up for being a lousy father?" Mal asked. She held out her hand. "Give me the ember."

Dad placed it in my hand. Mal walked away, and it took me a moment to follow her.

"I guess that's fair. I mean, I got the spellbook and you get the ember," Mal said quietly.

"Fair? Mal, you don't get everything just because he's our father," I said. "I got raised and educated for eighteen years about my powers. You got a spellbook the day you were sent off. Stop acting like this belongs to you."

"Gets wet, and it's game over," Dad shouted at us.

I turned my head so he could hear me. "I know, Dad!"

Mal, Celia, and I headed toward the barrier. I walked with them for safety measures.

"Why don't you come back with us?" Mal suggested.

I rolled my eyes. "Mal-"

"Hear me out," Mal cut me off. "You know the ember best. And I don't think you trust me with the ember. And I really just want you to come see Auradon."

"You're right. I don't." As we got to the entrance, I looked back at the Isle. "Fine. But I'm escorted back as soon as this is all over."

"You have my word."

Jay, Evie, and Carlos joined us not long after. Evie ran up to me and hugged me tightly. I smiled, despite my urge to fight the happiness. Jay hugged me next, then Carlos. As I pulled away from Carlos, Jay hit a button on a golden remote to open the barrier. I walked through the barrier and felt a rush of power. I gasped from the feeling.

"That's new," Carlos said, pointing to me.

I looked at my hair and noticed it was on fire. I smiled, loving that I gained the traits of my father. Hey, it's the perks of being a demigoddess. The ember glowed brightly in my hand. I tossed it up for a moment, then caught it. So much power in a rock.

I suddenly heard a thud behind me. I turned around and saw him chest bumping with Gil. I grinned in relief, going to hug my boyfriend. He hugged me back tightly, as if afraid to lose me again. I felt a twinge of guilt for not letting Harry know I was leaving. But he was with me, and that was all that mattered.

"Hey, guys. We're, uh, just comin' for a wee visit," Harry said.

The boys pushed the two back. Harry tried again, knocking into Carlos, who knocked into Mal. The ember flew out of her hand and almost hit the water. Suddenly, a tentacle emerged out of the water, catching the ember. Uma emerged out of the water in her octopus form and I smiled.

Uma smirked. "Drop something?"

"It can't get wet! Give it back before it goes out!" Mal yelled.

Uma laughed as the boys recovered from her shock.

"Uma!" the boys said in unison.

"That's my name," Uma said with a smile.

She dove back into the water. The tentacle with the ember coiled up as she disappeared below the water. A tornado of water rose and burst into mist, leaving nothing behind. All of us stood there in shock for a moment. Uma was gone, with the only tool to save Auradon.

"Hi, guys."