11

I wasn't sure how long I was asleep. It felt like hours, maybe even days. When it could have been only a few seconds, but I knew better. I wasn't on the hard rock of the tunnels anymore but a hard solid bed that smelt of cleanliness. The lights making my eyes squint even with them shut and the slight shivering breeze of a vent made me even more uncomfortable. My lips were chapped, throat dry, and I suddenly needed to pee. What great timing.

I bravely set my left hand over my eyes before opening them to peer into the clean, white, suffocating walls of a medical room. I let myself scan the room quickly with several thoughts but at the moment only three key goals, and when I found the small restroom on the side, I now only had one main goal.

Only every goal has its challenges and mine lies in several different trials.

"You are not pissing yourself." I grumbled under my breath, glaring at the silver handcuff locking my right wrist to the metal frame of the bed. As well as the leather restraint cuff around my non-injured leg's ankle. I guess I technically need to be more specific, my right leg with the re-bandaged thigh wound from the battle with the grounders had the leather cuff. While my left was wrapped in white around my entire calf but free from bonds. Not to mention the IV currently jammed into my forearm and the heart monitor strapped to my practically bare chest. Yes, practically bare.

Another trial, getting across the room without the cameras and whomever was watching them seeing me in strips of clothing. I had thankfully a white cloth wrapped over my breasts as well as small tight shorts that hugged my lower half like compression sleeves those athletes used to wear.

Not like they've ever had to un-cuff themselves from a bed to get to the bathroom.

I knew that the doctors here would want to drill me with questions over what had happened to my stomach and neck as the bare-ness of my upper torso hid none of the wounds given to me by Bellamy. Not to mention the questions I would receive if they had seen my back. Another trial to face after I went pee.

The easiest of the tasks that was going to be slightly painful first, the IV. I bit my lip preparing myself for the pinch my skin was going to experience. I swiped the spare gauze off the table and set it near the entry hole as I pulled the needle out and let it fall to the bed, quickly covering the small hole that began to bleed. I let the gauze soak up some of the blood as I went about pulling the adhesive monitors from my chest with a sick suction cup sound. My monitor flatlining as I dropped them on the floor unceremoniously.

When the two easy tasks were done, the need to pee had doubled and I wasn't sure if I was going to make it. With one hand I reached down to my ankle where the leather cuff lay, with the other I slid down the metal bed until I was at the strap. Moments like these I was thankful for my stretching routines. Preparation for this exact moment when I would need my flexibility to un-cuff myself or risk peeing. Obviously not planned.

I yanked on the small belt like leather strip and pulled wincing as the leather got tighter around my ankle before I was able to pull out the metal piece keeping it locked in one of the leather belt's holes. When I got that out I was able to completely loosen the cuff and pull my foot and ankle clear. Leaving the handcuffs to be the final barrier between me and the bathroom.

Unfortunately this bed wasn't like the one before where I was able to yank off the metal side piece, I would have to get the cuff off of my wrist. And there wasn't a key in sight. Hindsight, I could have just called for help, but I am independent.

"This is going to hurt." I whispered grabbing my thumb.

More importantly, I'm stubborn.

"Gah! Damnit!" I hissed as I bit down further on my lip, slipping the cuff off of my hand before relocating my thumb. The sound echoing in the silence as I slowly clenched and unclenched my fist, the pain nowhere near the first time I dislocated it.

But through the somewhat unnecessary pain I was able to get to the bathroom in time. And just out and back on the bed in time for the cavalry to arrive.

"Morning." I smirked as Dr. Tsing and Cage approached the bed slowly, the five guards with them spreading out before clearing the room.

"How, I, you know what, don't worry about it." Tsing said as she grabbed her clipboard and pen from the medical table to the far left of me. "How are you feeling Miss Kane?"

"Atlys. Please, call me Atlys. After all, you did save my life." Tsing smiled softly as Cage's smirk was slightly visible in my peripheral vision. My own smirk turning into a smile to hide my victorious malicious glint in my eyes.

"Very well, Atlys, are you feeling any pain? Discomfort? Headache? Nausea?" I let the thin white sheet drop a few inches as I adjusted myself on the bed, trying to show that I was comfortable around the two.

"Not necessarily, I did have to get up and well, dislocated my thumb for the cause. But other than that I felt fine walking." Tsing nodded before stepping closer to the bed.

"That's because your painkillers are still working. I'm going to have you on bed rest for the rest of today and tomorrow to make sure you're stitches stay together. Seeing as the ones on your upper thigh did not. Additionally, I'll be checking up on you're wounds tomorrow and we will go from there." She gave me a pointed look when I opened my mouth to defend myself. "Don't want to hear it. You are one of my patients and I'm enforcing it." This time I gave her a pointed look.

"You wouldn't be able to stop me if I really didn't want to listen to you, you do know that right?"

"Of course I do. Which is why I'm going to let you go back into your own room instead of staying here." I eyed her curiously waiting for a catch.

"What the catch?" This time I turned to Cage.

"I'll be having someone at your door in case you need anything." I rolled my eyes as I leaned back further and crossed my arms over my chest.

"And to babysit, great. Whatever, can I get out of here now then?" My attention back on Tsing. I watched her purse her lips and turn around before handing me two metal crutches. She pulled the bar on the left side of my bed down so that I could swing my legs over and adjust the crutches as needed.

When I got them to the right height I cautiously stood on them, taking a few steps before turning back to Tsing.

"Uh, do I get a change of clothes?"

________•*•*•*•________

"Not the best choice of style but, I guess this works." I crutched out of the bathroom to see Cage and Tsing still in the room waiting for me. The former grinning at my discomfort.

"Watch it, or I'm going to shove you into this monstrosity." Cage shook his head with a laugh.

"Come on, I'll take you to your room."

Cage held the door open as I awkwardly crutched down the hallway. I heard Cage mutter something into his walkie before he caught up to me. I didn't question it as we got onto the elevator, at least not at the moment.

But then the sirens started blaring, and Cage didn't look the least bit surprised.