Chapter 8

As soon as Keefe her Sophie's reply, he jumped up so high he almost fell. 

"You silly goof," Sophie rolled her eyes.  Wait, Sophie thought. What about Fitz? 

Keefe suddenly stopped jumping at looked at a worried Sophie. "I could feel your emotions from here, Foster. It's like this weird feeling. Like your heart just kind of dropped, and you're....worrying?" 

Sophie looked at Keefe. "Can we keep this a secret?" She pleaded. "Because what about Fitz?"

"What about Fitz, Sophie?" Keefe looked like he was hurt. "Just please keep him out of  us! Every time I want to spend time with you, you keep bringing in Fitz. I don't want him here! Okay? I just want the two of us. Is it that hard?" 

"Keefe! Fitz is a part of our life! And yes, it is hard to keep him out! His feelings might be hurt! Who knows, Keefe?" Sophie shot back. 

"OK, so now we're having this huge blowout because of Fitz?!" Keefe shouted. His face was red, but he didn't much angry. He looked hurt. Sophie sighed. She hated to see Keefe like this.  

"I'm sorry," Sophie said quietly. 

Keefe tried to smile. But then it disappeared. "I'm sorry too, but please keep Fitz out." Then, Keefe left, leaving the custard bursts and Sophie behind. 

                                                                      ****************************

That afternoon, Sophie called Biana. 

"OMG!!! So now you're with Keefe? Gosh, Soph! You're such a late starter! And I'm already, like going to get married!" Biana squealed excitedly. 

"Biana! I shouldn't have called you," Sophie groaned. She hated to hear how Biana was always talking about romance. 

"Fine then. Let's hang up. I have to get my face boiled and powdered anyways. I bet you would never do that because all you care about is other people's feelings," Biana chuckled. 

"Well, that's empathy! And a good thing," Sophie added. But Biana had already hung up. 

"Grrrr!" Sophie thought. I hope tomorrow is a much better day. 

                                                                  ******************************