Finding Maisie: Chapter 15

Finding Maisie

Chapter 15

The airport was full of people. We had to push our way through the crowds to get to the correct terminal for our flight to Venice. I was rushing so much that I got many grunts and complains from the people I pushed past.

It was seven o'clock in the evening of the same day and Callum and I had booked the closet flight to Italy. As soon as we left the hospital we went back to Joshua's to pack and look at flight times. We were staying in an average nothing-special-about-it hotel, because that's all we could afford. Luckily, Joshua insisted he'd pay all the bills for food and electricity at his house so I had saved some money.

We finally made it to our terminal and, after putting ourselves and our luggage through the scanners, we sat outside where we were boarding our plane from. We had ten minutes until we were allowed to go on it and there was one thing I wanted to check.

I got out my phone and dialled the hospital number that I had researched earlier. It rang a couple of times before someone answered.

'Farrings Hospital,' spoke the male receptionist that I had met very early this morning.

'Hello, this is Poppy Leads, Adam Trevors cousin. I'm just ringing to ask how he is,' I asked.

'Oh, I'm sorry to tell you this Ms Leads,' he spoke. My heart skipped a beat. Here came the bad news, 'But Adam Trevor's left the hospital in the morning without checking himself out. We have not been able to locate him.'

A small smile tugged at my lips, 'No worries. Thanks for telling me,' I said as I hung up the phone.

They had taken our advice and had left the hospital, on the run. Hopefully, they would escape the abductors clutches for a long while yet. At least this trip to Venice would keep the abductor busy for a bit and give Adam and Heather a chance to hide from him.

'Why're you smiling for?' Callum asked with a questioning look.

'Adam and Heather have left the hospital. They're hiding from the abductor,' I said.

'That's good,' Callum replied, 'Especially as Adam knows who the abductor is.'

Now we had time to persuade Adam to help us. If he was safe and away from the abductor then there was a better chance of that happening.

Callum and I spoke for a bit before we were allowed onto the plane. We showed our boarding passes and travelled to our allocated seats. I took the aisle seat because I knew Callum was going to be sleeping the whole journey and I didn't want him blocking my way to the toilets.

We made ourselves comfy in our seats and, instead of relaxing, I analysed everyone who walked through the door. The abductor was coming to Venice as well and, knowing him, he would've waited at the airport to make sure he got the same flight as us. Every time someone made the slightest of eye contact to me I tensed up and prepared myself to jump out of my seat if I needed to. Of course, nobody came over to me or did anything remotely suspicious. Even if the abductor was on the plane, he wouldn't make it obvious. As the last person stepped on board, I knew I could relax a little, but I didn't let my guard down completely.

Soon enough, everyone was sitting in their seats and the air hostess was telling us about the flight. Next to me, Callum was already on the verge of falling asleep, he was still annoyed about having to wake up early this morning to go to the hospital.

The flight attendant finished her speech and soon enough the plane was in the air. I decided to not go to sleep, I didn't want to leave both Callum and I unconscious without knowing the people around us, and so I listened to my music instead. About halfway through the flight, my legs were aching and so I got up to go to the toilet.