Finding Maisie: Chapter 18

Finding Maisie

Chapter 18

I got into the police car willingly. I didn't want to give Harry the satisfaction of having to arrest me. Callum tried to protest but I told him to be quiet and that I would see him soon. Even though I couldn't remember what happened, I knew in my heart that I wouldn't have had helped Maisie get kidnapped, so there must not be any evidence on me. Harry wouldn't be able to keep me in the station if there wasn't any evidence. And besides, I wasn’t being arrested, just questioned.

Harry got into the front of the car. Through the rear view mirror I saw Harry smirking at me. I realised that when o found out Harry was a police officer at the hospital I should have suspected something along these lines – something to put the police against me.

The car started and we began driving. I waved goodbye to Callum but he was still in shock to respond. I rested back in my seat and tried to relax although that was futile. How was I meant to relax when I was going to the police station?

I looked down to the ring that was on my finger. I had forgotten that I had been wearing it for so long, Maisie's ring that I displayed so proudly on my hand. I couldn't help but feel that the closer we got in the treasure hunt, the further I got from Maisie. I had been doing this for months and hadn't seen her or spoken to her; the best knowledge I had been given was that Maisie was still alive. I didn't even know if that was still true. At the start of the treasure hunt it felt like I was sure to see Maisie again at the end, but now it felt like there was a better chance of Callum and myself getting killed.

The car pulled up at the police station and Harry opened the door so I could get out. He followed me closely through the front door of the station and when we got inside Harry held onto my arm.

'This way please, Miss Leads,' Harry said.

I unwillingly obliged and tailed Harry into an interview room. The first thing I noticed was the large mirror on the wall. There was, no doubt, people watching on the other side. Before Harry came in, I was grateful for the few seconds I had to get my head around what was happening. I, the best friend of Maisie, was being accused of having something to do with the abduction of Maisie. I struggled to think how the abductor could plant this on me. I was eight at time, for goodness sake. Either the abductors being really smart, or really foolish.

The door handle went down and the door opened. Harry walked in trying to uphold his poker face. I had to too; I couldn't tell the police about the abductor and the treasure hunt, but it took every ounce of me not to do so.

Harry took the seat opposite me and settled himself in it. A small, quick smile flashed on his face but it was gone after a moment. I could tell that he was going to enjoy interviewing me. Harry placed his hands on the table in between us and leaned forward slightly. He was trying to intimidate me, but it wasn’t working. I knew that there wouldn't be much evidence to keep me here. I was just curious as to what Harry was going to do.

'Poppy Leads,' Harry spoke, 'I'm talking to you about being connected to the abduction of Maisie Miller, do you understand?'

'Yes, I understand why I'm here I just don't understand how,' I said.

'Please elaborate.'

'I had nothing to do with the abduction of my best friend, so I do not see how you can accuse me of it,' I continued.

'Miss Leads, I am not accusing you of taking Maisie, you are here because I think you are connected to it,' Harry explained.

'But that's ridiculous,' I responded, 'I was only eight when she was taken, how could I help take her. She was my best friend!'