Finding Maisie: Chapter 10

Finding Maisie

Chapter 10

I had always thought that I hadn't been kidnapped by the abductor for a reason. I thought that, by being free, I would save Maisie and bring the abductor to justice. I thought that it was my duty to. It was like my life was a treasure map. The line showing the way to the treasure was my life now, the present, and the "x" which marked the spot was when I would find Maisie. Maisie was kidnapped and I was free so there had to be a reason behind it. And it had to be Maisie that was abducted. If it had been me then Callum wouldn't have been eager to follow the abductors commands and may have even dissuaded Maisie from trying to find me. It was too dangerous for her and Callum and I hadn't been friends. And ultimately Maisie would've had Callum and Callum would've had Maisie and they would've been able to move as they still had one of their best friends. Maisie and Callum were always so close. But me... I had no one to call a friend, well not for the first couple of years. Of course, I became good friends with Callum but it wasn't the same. We weren't as inseparable as Maisie and I had always been. I couldn't talk to Callum about anything like I would've been able to with Maisie. I never had the best life after she disappeared and that's why I was so desperate to get Maisie back and was completely sure to go on the treasure hunt. I needed my best friend back and would do absolutely anything to get her back.

So that's why I felt like it had to be me who wasn't captured by the abductor. I would've made sure that I got Maisie back. But it all seemed worthless now. The rock and support that I needed to complete the treasure hunt and find Maisie was dying in my arms. Callums eyes were fluttering and his breathing was ragged and short. His life was leaving him. How would I finish this treasure hunt without him? How could I defeat the abductor? And how could I even live without him? It was impossible for Callum to leave me but yet. the impossible was happening right in front of my eyes.

'Maisie... Where's Maisie?' Callum said. His voice was weak, like his heartbeat. It broke me just to hear those words.

'Maisie's alive, Callum,' I said, tears streaming down my face. 'She's fine, Callum. Just waiting for me and you to find her so you have to hang on. You have to fight, Callum.'

I tried to make my voice sound strong to try and show Callum everything would be alright. I couldn't though. My voice kept breaking and, besides, the emotion on my face must've showed the whole story.

'Alive?' Callum whispered.

I placed a finger on his mouth, 'Shush, Callum. Don't waste your breath. Yes, alive. So you have to stay with me because I can't fight the abductor on my own, you'll have to help me with that. So, please, fight.'

Callums eyes stared at me. He knew exactly what I was saying but was too weak to answer. Of course he would be. My whole arm was soaking wet from his blood. He had lost too much of it. That really wasn't good.

'Where is the ambulance?' I whispered to myself mostly. It felt like ages ago she had called them, yet with every second that passed Callum was slipping further into darkness. So where were they?

I smiled weakly when the faint noise of sirens sounded in the distance. They gradually grew louder and closer. The ambulance was here. They could take Callum to hospital and make him better.

'The ambulance is here, Callum,' I said as I looked over the edge of the roof for the green and yellow vehicle. 'You'll be just-'

I looked at Callum. His eyes were closed.

'No...' I whispered. I placed my hand under his nose and waited. Relief shook through me when I felt the warm drift of his breath. Callum was unconscious but breathing... Just.