Finding Maisie: Chapter 5

Finding Maisie

Chapter 5

Two weeks had passed since my last meeting with the abductor. My injury had healed, mostly. I could walk normally and go about my daily routine with no bother, only strenuous tasks caused discomfort. This meant one thing. I was ready to continue the treasure hunt.

I was sat on Joshua's sofa, contemplating the next location. The amusement park. I gripped a pillow, fiddling with the corners, anxiously. I didn't want to see him again, the man who had my best friend. The thought alone made my body tense. My hand traced the mark on my leg, the mark of the knife wound. I held the pillow tighter, my knuckles turning white. I couldn't face him again. I was out of my depth. I had gone into this treasure hunt blindly, focusing on the thought of my best friend. Whether I was brave or stupid, I couldn't tell. This was a game to him, a way for the abductor to get entertainment, but this game could have cost us our lives. Us. Callum and I. I wouldn't be alone this time, I would have him. The abductor may have proven that his want to hurt was prominent, but Callum would help me. This was not impossible. I placed the pillow beside me and went to find my partner in crime.

We planned the trip as usual. Leave early, get the train, avoid the entry queues.

Joshua dropped us at the station. Callum and I pushed our way onto the packed platform just as the train arrived. I looked at the platform once more before boarding. Biting my lip, I turned to Callum. We weren't safe, I could feel it. He was here, already.

'What's up?' Callum asked, noticing my nervousness.

'I think he's here,' I whispered, staring at the bystanders walking around us.

Callum frowned. 'Poppy, there's a lot of people on this train. How would you even know who he is?'

I couldn't, that was impossible. I did not need to know who he was to know that he was here. The cunning man who had my best friend needed control. Control over us, control over this treasure hunt. There was no doubt in my mind that he was close.

'I can feel him watching us. Don't ask me how I know, but I just do.'

Callum nodded and glanced around our carriage. No one looked particularly threatening or out of the ordinary. I had always hoped that if I ever came face to face with the man behind the hood that I would know. He may have been on this train, but the abductor was not on this carriage. I held onto the edge of my seat. If this feeling of uneasiness and danger was already consuming me on only the train, how would today be bearable?

'I'm going toilet,' I said. I let go of my seat and walked down the carriage, glaring at every face I walked by. No hint of recognition. 

As soon as I entered the toilet, I locked the door. Only then could I breathe. He could not see me here, I wasn't being watched anymore. My stalker could, for the moment, no longer pry upon me. I looked at my reflection, at the girl in the mirror. She had such worry on her face, but more prominently fear. I was only eighteen. Why was this happening to me? I had a personal stalker watching me, taunting me. Why was I so special?

I had to get back to Callum. Leaving him alone on a train with the abductor was not the smartest of ideas. I took a deep breath, composing myself as I unlocked the door. I stepped straight back inside. In front of me was a man. He was holding a folded piece of paper. Had I caught him red-handed, was this man the abductor?

'You're the... You're...' I stuttered, to fearful to speak.

The man scowled at me, tapping his foot impatiently. 'Look, miss, I don't know what you're trying to say and I need to get off the train. Can I just give you this piece of paper like that man told me to?'