Finding Maisie: Chapter 2

Finding Maisie

Chapter 2

I awoke to the unfamiliar surroundings of the hotel room. It was 8 o'clock; another early start. I hadn't been able to have a good night's sleep in days due to the anniversary of Maisie's disappearance edging closer and so waking up early became a regular occurrence to me. Despite it being light outside, the thick hotel curtains blocked the sun out, leaving me feeling cold and dark inside. The only thing stopping me from feeling lonely was the sleeping Callum in the bed next to mine. Despite everything that had happened - with Maisie disappearing and the notes from the abductor - I was glad I had gotten closer to Callum. He was a friend I swore to myself I would never lose contact with.

I slipped out of my bed and walked towards the bathroom. I stopped. Something in the room didn't feel right. Something was different. It felt like something had changed in the room. It didn't feel like somebody was in the room at that moment, no, but like someone had been in there and moved items around. An invaded and insecure feeling came on me.

My suitcase, which I had left in the middle of the hotel rooms blue rug, was now leaning against the wardrobe. My jeans and hoodie that I had left in the middle of the floor were folded upon the coffee table. And most strangely of all, my phone was placed with the screen facing the glass in the coffee table. This was strange as I would never place the glass screen against the surface as I was worried of it getting scratched. I looked over to the peaceful Callum and wondered whether it was him who had moved my stuff. However, seeing as he went to bed before me and was a messy person, I doubted it. This meant that this abductor had a way to get into our room. He must have done last night whilst we were sleeping, that thought alone was enough to make my skin crawl. And the fact that the abductor purposely and subtly moved items around highlighted to me that this man wanted me to notice that he had been in here. Knowing the abductor wasn't scared to show me this scared me in itself.

I shook off the feeling, deciding not to dwell on the fact my belongings had magically moved in the night, and suddenly had an urge for breakfast. I quickly changed and grabbed my phone. Quietly closing the door, I left my hotel room and Callum and pressed the lift button down to the floor with the breakfast room. Before the lifts doors fully closed, an arm squeezed between them, forcing the lift to reopen again. A man walked in. immediately I went stiff from coming into contact with a strange man. Anybody I saw now could be the abductor. I examined the man standing next to me. He looked quite old and had a greying beard and hair, which was knotted and frizzy. His clothes were all black and looked quite dirty. They were also layered and he was wearing a thick coat despite being indoors, as if he was wearing every item of clothing he owned. His thick boots were muddy and looked worn out. I didn't mean to sound offensive but, judging by his appearance, this man didn't seem like he could afford to stay at a hotel. I watched cautiously as the man walked into the lift and something just didn't quite add up right. The stranger was sweating and twitching like he was nervous. No not nervous... he was scared.

We stood awkwardly in the lift as the woman's voice called "doors closing" and we were enclosed in this small space together. If this man was dangerous then there was now no way to escape. From the corner of my eye I kept noticing the man look at me and open his mouth only to close it again and turn away. The lift ringed and the doors began opening. Confused at the stranger next to me, I began walking to the doors eager to escape. In a flash the man pressed the close doors button and prevented me from walking any further.

He stared directly at me and I stared back at his frightened expression, feeling the same way he looked. Nervous and scared.

He tried to give me eye contact but it felt like he was reluctant to. He coughed in the tense atmosphere and opened his mouth.