Finding Maisie: Chapter 21

Finding Maisie

Chapter 21

Maisie's POV:

It was strange how much of Colin I had seen in the last couple of months. Normally, I was lucky to see him once a week at most. It was usually Harry who dealt with feeding me and moving me when we changed location. So how come Colin always seemed to be around now? In a way, I was kind of grateful. I wasn't scared of Colin. In the rare times that I saw him he always showed some sort of kindness. Like giving me another sketch pad or asking me for my food preferences. Don't get me wrong, I hated the man. Even though I was young I still knew that he was the reason I never got to see my mum. I knew that he kidnapped me for some reason or another. But he seemed to become more fond of me over the years. I might not have been correct or maybe his face looked kind next to Harry's, but that was what my eyes were telling me.

All that Colin's frequent appearances told me was that something strange was going on. And that was why I had my ear pressed against a door, listening to what Colin, Harry and someone I had seen on occasion were speaking about. I didn't know where I was. I had been knocked out, not knowing who by, and when I woke up here I was. In a wooden room. A minute after I heard voices.

As I listened through the door I stayed lying on the ground. If anyone came in here I would have to pretend I was still unconscious. I didn't want to be found eavesdropping. The memory of when I got caught eavesdropping last time by Harry made my body shiver. That was something I didn't want repeated.

The voices were only muffled but I needed to know what was going on. I had never felt safe or secure in these countless years but when something strange happened, it terrified the life out of me. The only thoughts that ran through my mind were "This is it." or "They've had enough of me." I knew this wasn't much of a life to wish for but it was the hope that I clung to. The hope that maybe one day I would get saved, that my family or the police would find me. I didn't want to die not for myself but for my family. I did not want them to find out that after all this time their hopes of finding me were wasted.

I sat upright, not caring for that second if Harry saw me eavesdropping. I hadn't been able to hear their conversation but two words just rang out as clear as bells.

'Poppy' and 'Callum'.

Poppy and Callum, names I had thought of so many times in the years and written down in their birthday cards I made them. Names that brought back the heart-warming memories of home and my parents. But also names that scared me, terrified me even. Because those names in a conversation with Colin meant only one thing; that he was finally going after them. I knew when Poppy escaped that it wouldn't be the end, and when I saw boy's clothes in the apartment I was made to stay at when I was first abducted, I knew Callum was his target as well. I had prayed that the abductor wouldn't bother, that he would decide kidnapping me would be enough and leave them. The tears slid down my face as I came to realise that that was a wish that wouldn't come true.

I then remembered that I might have actually heard Poppy earlier when I was in a different building. I had heard someone heavily breathing and they sounded like a girl. In my hope I had said Poppy's name out loud. But a second later the abductor was pulling me into a different room so I didn't get to find out. Now I knew, it must have been Poppy. I had heard her earlier.

The talking suddenly stopped. Footsteps sounded that were coming closer to me. I scuttled back into the far corner of the room and quickly I wiped the tears off my cheeks with my tied up hands. If there was one thing I had learnt about Colin through this kidnapping it was that he didn't like tears. The only time he resembled Harry's hostile behaviour was when I cried. I didn't know why but it was a fact. I had picked up the rule to never cry, a rule that I had broken tonight.