Chapter Two

ChapterTwo

Merrick felt suffocated in the trunk of the car. His long frame was folded into the small space affording little room for movement to stretch his limbs. He had to get out of there. He hated small places; it brought back memories of living in cardboard boxes and dumpsters. The darkness had driven him back in time to those cold and lonely moments that had stretched into eternity.  But then the light had shone on him.

Selene.

She was sweet and kind, he knew when he saw her, touched her that she belonged to him, that she was his salvation. And then Patrick had ripped her away, saying she was his daughter. That made things between difficult—impossible. He was a nothing in the pack, barely a member; and if she was who Patrick said she was, she was a princess—the future queen of the pack. But she was his queen and he knew with every fiber in his being that he would fight for her.

*              *              *

Selene watched out the window as the night gave over to the early morning. She had sat in silence as the night passed b the car. Her father had watched her from his seat; she could feel his gaze on her like a physical grip on her person. Moments before they had passed through a guarded pass into a wide valley floor that was thickly covered with trees and rock formations.  She noticed houses, cabins really, that dotted the area. The Road was narrow and winding. After another hour they reached the end of the valley and large palace like building that was surrounded by great stone walls that look to guard a castle.

“We’re home.” He father announced when the car came to a stop.

Selene was jarred from her trance with the thought of seeing Merrick. “Merrick,” she whispered. She threw open the car door and ran blindly toward the second car that had parked behind the first. The men from the second car had already pulled Merrick from the trunk who had dropped to his knees in pain. He was still shirtless.

“Merrick!” Selene cried and ran to him. The men reached out to restrain her, but she slipped slyly under their arms. She threw herself into Merrick’s arms not even caring that her bare knees were scraped and cut by the sharp gravel of the drive.

Merrick, a moment before was not able to hold his head up, but at the sound of her voice he grew new strength and he wrapped her in his bare arms. “Selene.” His voice cracked.

“Oh Merrick.” Selene buried herself against him.

“Selene, come away from him. He is nothing.” Her father called to her.

“No! Merrick stays with me.” She turned her eyes to him, “He protected me. Please—I am asking you for this. Please let Merrick stay with me. Please…father.” Selene saw her father contemplate her request. It would be easy for him to deny her. To use his power and strength to bend her to his will.

“Merrick,” He father called, “If you want her you must do it in the way of the pack, I want your word.”

Merrick looked down at the women in his arms. He would do anything to keep her. “You have my word.”

An older women with long straight black hair and violet eyes like Selene’s came out into the courtyard. “Patrick who is this women?”

“She is my heir, show her and the rouge to a room…stay close; do not leave them alone for long.”

Janet took the news well, gasping shallowly and then motioning to the couple in follow her. Merrick pulled himself up and Selene allowed him to lean on her. Merrick tried to balance his own weight but he knew that without her he would not have been able to make two steps without falling.