Chapter Eight

ChapterEight

The field that had early been empty of decoration was now swimming in streams, lights, color paper lanterns and various stations of activity. There was a large eating area with tables and benches, but most people had brought blankets to sit on the ground. The tables were covered with food that people had brought and several large industrial grill were already charring meat to perfection. Several family groups had put together fire pits which they surrounded with chairs and cushions. A band was even turning up on the platform.

Selene was surprised and excited by the speed at which the celebration had been brought together. Her first party was about to get under way and she had a beautiful new dress to wear and a new friend to share it with at her side. She looked down at her dark blue dress that was lined with silver and blue sequins. She loved the way the fifties style dress twirled around her knees. Janet had helped her pin up her long tresses and had even given her a pair of silver chandelier earrings that almost brushed her shoulders.

She sat watching the band at one of the small plastic tables that was off to the side of the platform. Roz sat next to her wearing a long brown skirt and a peasant top with embroidered flowers around the collar. Roz was fidgeting, constantly fingering her gold locket necklace and refusing to look anywhere but at the ground and up at the stage.

"You don't need to be nervous Roz. Everything will be fine."

Roz looked up and offered up half a smile, "Aren't I suppose to be the one reassuring you?"

Selene tipped her chin back and laughed, "Then I guess were out of luck." Roz couldn't help but join in Selene's giggling.

That was how Patrick found them, "What is so amusing?"

Both girls looked over at Patrick's serious expression and reacting more to their nerves then anything, Selene and Roz burst into a new round of laughter.

"Nothing in particular." Selene finally answered.

Patrick was so happy to see his daughter in such good spirits that he too broke a grin. He was also happy to see that Roz had agreed to show up. Janet often spoke of the town's seamstress. He had been troubled by the girl's situation for many years, and he was ashamed at how her parents had ultimately abandoned her. It was partially because of her, and his guilt of his own failure to act that he had taken in Diana when her parents had died.

But now Roz and Selene were friends and Patrick knew that the two women would help each other. Patrick looked up and saw Marcus and Trevor led by their father Jason heading towards them.

Patrick frowned slightly. Patrick had a odd feeling when it came to Jason Hanna, but he could never name a particular incident or act that would make out to be anything other then a devoted father and member of the community. His boys on the other hand were trouble. Especially Trevor, who seemed to be up to no good on a regular basis. Patrick had seen the way Selene had reacted to him, and the hairs on his neck had stood on end. Marcus on the other hand seemed to be a strong man who was controlled and loyal, but there was something lethal about him; something dark and seemingly villainous that Patrick distrusted. But Patrick saw Madison as a possible candidate for Selene's hand in marriage, he was charming and kind. Upon learning of Madison's friendship with Merrick Patrick had been to doubt the possibility of Madison and Selene coming together.

Jason nodded to Patrick and then his gaze trained on Selene. Patrick highly disliked the interest that Jason showed Selene but held his tongue. He looked over at Marcus who was also looking at Selene, but Trevor however had his gaze trained on Roz.

"So Patrick it looks as though things have gotten underway quickly. I congratulate you."

"Thanks."