Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Merrick looked down a the woman in his arms. She was restless in her sleep. She seemed only content when she burrowed as close as she could against him, her face pushed against his chest. She stirred and then raised her head. Merrick brushed the strands of her hair that had fallen over her face. Her lashed slowly raised,

“Merrick.” She said his name so softly it was barely a whisper.

During the last hours Merrick’s body had healed a great deal and he felt almost normal. He raised up on his elbow and stared down at her. She brought her hand to his cheek.

“Merrick you’re hurt,” Concern pooled in her violet eyes.

“Not so much. God you are so beautiful!” He groaned. Selene smiled up at him and twined her hand in his hair. Merrick took the movement as an invitation and leaned down and gently set his lips on hers. He moaned at the instant satisfaction the simple act created. It heated his blood and he moved his hand under her back to pull her closer. Her own hands traveled from his narrow jean covered hips to his bare back. She stoked his exposed skin up and down, instinctually using her nails and combing his skin. She heard him growl in his throat.

“Merrick.” She cried softly, breathless from the new sensations. “I feel so funny.”

Merrick pulled back and looked down at her well kissed lips, flushed cheeks, and dilated eyes. “Selene I want you so badly.”

“I want you to.” She cried out and moved her hands to pull him down to her again. But he held back.

“We can’t. I promised. I have to claim you in the way of the pack.”

Selene buried her head in his neck. “Please Merrick, take me away, I don’t like it here. I’m scared.”

Merrick held Selene close and stroked her soft hair. He wanted to tell her that it would be easy. That he could put her on the back of his bike and ride away from this place, away from the politics of the pack. But he had tried so hard to be accepted and he knew what it was like to be alone in the world. His kind was meant to be part of a group. He knew he had to claim her the pack’s way, so they could be together and so there children would be accepted in to the pack.

“Selene do you know what we are?” Merrick felt her stiffed against him.

She pulled back and looked up at him. She shook her head, “I don’t understand.” He held her head in his hands.

“We’re Werewolves.”

She tired to jerk away, fear filling her eyes. “Selene! I know you’ve always felt out of place, like you didn’t belong. I know how hard it has been to find friends, but at the same time yearning for companionship with every fiber in your being. I know Selene, because I was like you. My mother left the pack just after I was born, I didn’t know until I Changed.” He stroked the side of her face. “I know you haven’t Changed yet, and that is just one more reason why we should stay. Your father, Janet will help you. You need to be taught the way of the pack. I know you’ve always felt like you don’t belong—“

“I feel like I belong when I’m with you Merrick.”

Merrick smiled sadly, “I feel the same way, you are the mate of my soul. But Selene you need friends, women your own age, to teach you to raise our young.”

Selene looked away at the mention of children. “Selene do you want my children?” Fear pooled in Merrick’s gut.

“I’m so scared. Those men hurt you, my father hurt you. I don’t know this place. I want children, but this place is not where I want them to be raised.”