Chapter Four

ChapterFour

Merrick looked down at the barrowed clothes he wore. The charcoal grey slacks fit surprisingly well as did the button up black shirt. He hated the confinement of the shirt and rolled up the sleeves to the elbows and unbuttoned the top three buttons, leaving his neck bare.

His hair was still damp from the shower but his jaw was cleanly shaven and he relished at the feeling of his full strength returned. He made his way down the hall and was met by Patrick who was sent by Janet to fetch him.

Patrick was surprised at how well Merrick looked when he was cleaned up. “I see you found some clothes.”

“Yeah, thanks.”

“Well let’s not keep the ladies waiting.” Patrick lead the way out to the front foyer. Janet smiled when she saw them and motioned for Selene to come out to meet them.

Selene came down the last few steps and stood before Merrick and her father. She wore gold and black pleated skirt with a wide gold belt about her hips. She wore a lace thin strapped top with gold hoop earrings that Janet had given her. Her hair hung long and wild down her back.

“Merrick!” She threw herself into his open arms. Merrick caught her, though he was stunned by how beautiful she looked.

“Selene,” He breathed into her hair. He pulled back so he could look into her “You look beautiful.”

Selene smiled up at Merrick and then over at Janet, “Thank you, Janet helped.” She then noticed her father who had stepped back from the couple. “Father.”

“Selene. You look stunning.” Selene let go of Merrick and moved towards her father.

“Thank you.” She smiled shyly, blushing and looking away.

Patrick raised his hand to turn her face back up and her eyes met his. He gently stroked her hot cheek. “I am so glad you are home Selene. You make everything more beautiful with your presence.”

Selene looked at the man who was her father. She had cursed him over the years in his absence and at the same time she had so desperately wanted to have him hold her as a little girl. Whenever she had fallen or been frightened she had wanted her father. And now he was here and he had opened his home to her. She found herself propelled into his embrace.

It felt so right to have his big strong arms around her. She felt so small in his arms but she felt protected completely. “Thank you for bringing me home, daddy.” She said softly into his shoulder. His embrace tightened briefly and then he released her.

Selene’s hand found Merrick’s and she stood for a moment between the two men. Patrick met Merrick’s gaze above her head.

“Well, now that we’ve all gathered let’s have dinner shall we.” Janet said leading the way into a lavishly dressed dinning room.

The table was filled with decorative plates and glasses. Silver trays laden with rolls and fruit as well as other covered trays that emitted heavenly scents of the meal to come. Patrick took the seat at the head of the table. Janet sat on his left and Patrick pulled out the chair for Selene at his right. Merrick sat next to Selene her hand still holding his. Selene glanced worriedly at her surroundings. She had never before seen a table so fine.

Merrick leaned over to her ear, “What has you worried?”

Selene shrugged, “I’m not used to such grandeur.”

Merrick smiled, “Neither am I.”

Selene smiled back, “What will we do?”

“Follow their lead?” Selene laughed softly. Patrick’s attention was drawn immediately to his daughter’s joyful laughter. It bothered him slightly that she held on to Merrick’s hand so tightly, and that she was at such ease with the young man.