Chapter Seven

ChapterSeven

Patrick led Selene out of the house, Janet followed close behind the pair. As soon as the front door opened Selene was shocked to see such a large crowd had gathered in the wide open lawn just past the gravel drive. Possibly more than a thousand people had made their way to see her be presented.

A small platform had been constructed that faced the crowd and Patrick led her up on to it. The crowd was eerily quiet except for a few hushed whispers and comments.

Patrick walked up to the front of the platform, "Friends, I have great news to bring you." Patrick's voice did not require the microphone that had been set up, "This young woman beside me is my daughter, my heir. I hope that you will understand that she was raised on the Outside and it will be up to all of us to show her the way of the Pack."

While Selene had expected the crowd to either remain silent of perhaps offer a small clap, she was unprepared for their reaction. As soon as Patrick introduced her, the crowd that was made up of young and old irrupted into shouts and cheers and a ear deafening response. People were waving and smiling, some began to dance with one another, Selene even thought she caught an older women with tears of joy running down her face. It was to Selene unbelievable.

Then her father spoke again, "Tonight we will celebrate her homecoming and I hope you will join us!" The roar of the crowd increase if it was possible in their frenzy. These people defiantly liked to party, Selene concluded.

Selene was desperately seeking a glimpse of Merrick in the sea of people. Just before she was about to give up, she saw him. He wore jeans and a white t-shirt his face was somber and his arms were crossed across his chest. He did not look happy. But as soon as her eyes met his, he uncrossed his arms and started towards the platform. He weaved in and out of celebrating people. But before he reached the edge of the platform women threw her body in to his arms, her arms around his neck like snakes. Selene knew it was Diana, and she suddenly remembers what Diana had said about Merrick and hers relationship. And while Merrick seemed to be trying to pull her off, Selene couldn't bare to watch them together.

Selene turned her head to look at her father who looked to be almost glowing. Selene smiled back at him and let him guide her off the platform to were several people waited to greet her personally. Janet was also there smiling, ready to make the introductions. Selene tried her best to give them her full attention and forget the image of Merrick and Diana.

Janet stepped forward and guided an older couple in their late fifties or early sixties toward her, "Selene I would like you to meet your great aunt Lynn and great uncle Rudy." The couple was cheerful and reminded Selene of what grandparents must be like. They complimented her on how she favored Patrick and said she was the very image of her father's mother Harriet.

Selene threw herself into the following introductions, she met several of the store owners from the town, that Janet said they would go later to find clothes. She then greeted some of the families that consisted of several young children who ran circles around them all as their parents tired to convey their happiness over her arrival. She shook hands and smiled, even laughed. It was all very exciting.

Then a family came up to her that she had been dreading and the same time curious to meet. All of them were giants. The older man, who was clearly the father tall and lanky like his sons, but he had lost some of the muscle his sons still had, but he still had a full head of thick silver hair. His sons could all be called handsome. His two eldest sons seemed to be nursing wounds from the night before.